Discuss Water heater drain valve drip in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some research and understand that these plastic drain valve should be replaced with a brass one (a little concerned to do it myself as I read that the plastic can break and be stuck there.. also trying to save money to get plumber.)

In addition, I read that maybe a hose cap can be screwed on. But is this safe?

Besides these options, can I just permanently connect a hose to the drain valve to let the water exit to the ground? Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

That valve is meant to drip from time to time.
Whatever you do, don't cap or block it off.
You will create a bomb that will do major damage to your house, neighbours houses and low flying aircraft.

Reply to Water heater drain valve drip in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
When we moved into our house in 2016, the electric water heater popped loudly when heating. After awhile, I researched and realized that it was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock