Discuss Water flow restrictions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomcs

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice to help solve a v annoying problem. Plumbing is not my strong point.

I live in a 3 story town house. The water pressure to the house seems very good, I live just on the edge of a major town in the south-east.

The house is fitted with an 'Oso' ? unvented hot water cylinder, with a small red pressurised cylinder fitted just above it which has a pressure gauge (sits at around 2 bar).

The problem we have is there seems to be restrictions in water volume and flow rate somewhere and I have no idea where to start, and plumbers I have had in previously don't seem to have any solutions.

The water pressure to the top floor is such that if I turn the shower on and then turn on the cold tap, the shower stops flowing almost completely. We could certainly never consider using the first and second floor showers together as neither one would have any water!!

This apparent unexplained lack of water availability also results in major temp variations if ANY water source is used whilst I am having a shower.

I have taken a picture of the valve block just upstream of the mains stopcock under the kitchen sink as I think it might be something? Or the only other thing I have thought of is the balancing valve is wrongly setup!?

Here is the picture:

IMG_0818.jpg

The valve looks broken? Showing 10 bar??

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the pressurised booster tank is faulty which is not something you should be touching for you own safety, the red needle on the gauge is normally set as an indicator of max or working pressure so suggest you go to the "I`m looking for a plumber" section on the forun and state where you roughly live and one of the guys locally to you will respond.

what needs to be done is a dynamic pressure and flow reading taken at the start of the incomming main at the stop tap, then compare this to readings after the valves. This should give you a goo idea of whats going on. Also may need to take a reading at a neighbouring property. That pressure reducing valve could be faulty, or the gauge could just be faulty? there will be a strainier somewhere that could also cause problems.

you need a good plumber with a building regs G3 qualification. This qualification is needed to ensure that any work done on the
unvented hot water system does not leave you, your family and property in any danger. They can explode under major fault conditions if not fitted and serviced as required by the manufacturer and the building regs.

post your location and there may be somebody on the forum who can help you. as above post :)

Have patience Tom most of the guy`s are out working right now but sure someone will get in touch. Also there is a time delay in your posts showing because you are new to the forum and changes have been made after the forum was recently attacked by a spammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water flow restrictions? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
HI Iam hoping someone can provide guidance on a heating problem. I have a (old) Ideal isar HE35 where there is no hot water for the 2 showers at...
Replies
Views
Back