Discuss Water flow rate bathtub query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone just looking for some advice regarding water flow rate:
  • Live on 2nd floor flat
  • Boiler: Vokera Easi heat 25 combi boiler
  • Water supply: Incoming water for hot and cold water is via the mains water supply
  • Boiler on kitchen wall is about 10 metres from bathroom
Does this seems about right or normal as I filled a 10 litre bucket of water from the bathtub mixer tap:
Cold water from tap filled 10 litre bucket in 25 seconds
Hot water from tap filled 10 litre bucket in 60 seconds

I have a red gate valve (22mm) which supplies the water to the flat in a high cupboard, to reduce the cold water flow rate is it okay to turn it until the flow rate is lower or should it be left fully open?

I just want to know if the cold and hot water flow rates are normal and if it matters if I reduce the cold water flow rate by turning the red gate valve.

Any information would be really appreciated many thanks.:)

I have a red gate valve (22mm) which supplies the water to the flat in a high cupboard, to reduce the cold water flow rate is it okay to turn it until the flow rate is lower or should it be left fully open?
Is this your mains pressure cold water? If so:

I would leave it fully open. What harm would turning it down do though? Not a lot, might eventually wear the valve out, but we're talking years. Might also reduce your hot water flow rate as you are also supplying the boiler through that valve.

If you wanted to reduce the maximum pressure for some reason, a partially shut valve is not the best way; the best way would be a Pressure Reducing Valve.

Thank you so much for the replies, I will just leave the gate valve as it is. I just didn't know that the hot and cold water flow vary and it is normal for hot and cold to have different times when filling a bucket of water.

It depends upon the system, the flow rate is not different because one is hot and one is cold , please don’t think that.
In your system; the flow rate is slowed down by the boiler so that it can be heated sufficiently as it passes through on demand - this results inthe hot flow rate being less than the cold.

In a gravity system; both hot and cold are fed from the same tank, the hot is heated and stored for later use- both hot and cold will have the same flow rates.
There are other systems too, but you get the idea.

Reply to Water flow rate bathtub query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock