Discuss Water coming in flue pipe after boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ann, you may need to check where the condense pipe runs. Ive seen installers attach them to rain water downpipes and this time of year the leaves can block the downpipe, so when it rains the downpipe will back up with water and force it back up condense pipe. Ive also seen the same where they are connected to a soil pipe and the drain gets blocked.

Hi, we have asked our plumber who installed it in the past about this problem, and he said it was just unfortunate that on days that the wind is blowing in a certain direction, with heavy rain, there is nothing he can do about it. When we had it serviced by the manufacturer under guarantee, he ordered a new flue, for us, for our plumber to re-install. But, when we told our plumber, he said it was exactly the same flue that we aready had installed, and that there was no point replacing it, as it wouldn't solve the problem. We will ask him where the condensing pipe is, and where it is running into.

Ann, have a look yourself. Its a white plastic pipe coming out the bottom of the boiler. Does it go outside? If so have a look and check its not going into the Guttering downpipe. If it does, have a look to see if the downpipe is blocked by leaves. Its probably not this causing your problem but certainly worth a look.

Hi, I will ask my husband to have a look. The boiler is situated on the ground floor but is up on the wall. I am wondering, when the water comes in through the flue, why does it not drain away into this pipe. The water drips down from the top of the boiler down the front. Is it possible the condensing pipe is split at the top for it not to drain away, or is it just sheer volume of water entering the flue that the condensing pipe cannot cope with?

My husband has just had a look, and he says that there is water dripping down the white condensing pipe from the top, and that it is not sealed at the point of draining into gutter pipe, but he seems to think the gutter pipe is not blocked in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, brilliant the condense pipe can be ruled out.

Hold on a minute! Does the condense pipe enter the downpipe or is it totally separate?

BTW When I said dripping down the condensing pipe, I meant down the outside of it, not the inside of it.

Ok, brilliant the condense pipe can be ruled out.

Hold on a minute! Does the condense pipe enter the downpipe or is it totally separate?

Yes, it enters into the downpipe.

The water is coming from the top of the boiler where the flue enters it, and runs down the front of the boiler, we can see this when we take the cover off, but the main drips are on the opposite side from the condense pipe, so I don't think its the condensing pipe, but mayb the u shape white plastic pipe the runs from the top of the boiler and connects to the flue outside.

Hi, we have asked our plumber who installed it in the past about this problem, and he said it was just unfortunate that on days that the wind is blowing in a certain direction, with heavy rain, there is nothing he can do about it. When we had it serviced by the manufacturer under guarantee, he ordered a new flue, for us, for our plumber to re-install. But, when we told our plumber, he said it was exactly the same flue that we aready had installed, and that there was no point replacing it, as it wouldn't solve the problem. We will ask him where the condensing pipe is, and where it is running into.
i think a couple of pictures would be a great help here ann then we can advise you better

I have been a heating engineer for nearly forty years and have never had any trouble with any kind of flue until condensing boilers came on the scene.
We have just installed 51 Glowworm 38 CXi combi's in a block of flats, all with extended horizontal flues, that the manufacturers instructions say, must rise to outside by 44mm per metre, which they do.
When it rains, water runs into the outer flue, air intake, and down the flue back to the boiler and drips out of the case. It also leaks sometimes out of the flue joints as Glowworm flues do not have a seal on the outer pipe, and they are made of steel, so they rust !!!!
We have contacted Glowworm technical who admit that this " can be a problem " but they don't have a solution !!!
Surely it's not rocket science to design a terminal with the air intake facing downwards, with an extended turret so that rain water drips off of the bottom to outside. They could even make a retro-fit unit to click on the end ( like the anti-plume kit does on the inner flue )
So anyone who has this problem, as far as Glowworm are concerned, although I know other boilers have this problem, you're on your own !!!

I have been a heating engineer for nearly forty years and have never had any trouble with any kind of flue until condensing boilers came on the scene.
We have just installed 51 Glowworm 38 CXi combi's in a block of flats, all with extended horizontal flues, that the manufacturers instructions say, must rise to outside by 44mm per metre, which they do.
When it rains, water runs into the outer flue, air intake, and down the flue back to the boiler and drips out of the case. It also leaks sometimes out of the flue joints as Glowworm flues do not have a seal on the outer pipe, and they are made of steel, so they rust !!!!
We have contacted Glowworm technical who admit that this " can be a problem " but they don't have a solution !!!
Surely it's not rocket science to design a terminal with the air intake facing downwards, with an extended turret so that rain water drips off of the bottom to outside. They could even make a retro-fit unit to click on the end ( like the anti-plume kit does on the inner flue )
So anyone who has this problem, as far as Glowworm are concerned, although I know other boilers have this problem, you're on your own !!!
its about time boiler manufacturers were made to give up the cash cow that flue components have become and adopt the sensible 2 inch plastic waste as standar flue like the kestonsit recently cost a customer nearly 400 to get all the bends and extention to get a flue out ,with a keston this would have been under a hundredhats realy anoying is no way to use of cuts from extensions as they only have one socket

With the last bout of really bad weather, the wind blowing in the direction of our boiler flue, we had rain pouring in, and down the case of our boiler! We had a plumber come and adjust the flue pipe outside, as he thought it was angled up too much. He also said that the pipe inside of the outside the flue pipe was already angled correctly to take back the condensation. We just hope this helps. This has been a problem since we bought the boiler, and when it was under warranty, the engineer was baffled as to why it was happening, but ordered a replacement flue just to see if it would help. Our plumber who originally installed it said it was exactly the same flue that we already had, and there was no use swapping it. The plumber that we called out this morning, is not the plumber that installed our boiler. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water coming in flue pipe after boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
I
Dear All, Please kindly advise, i don't know what else to do! Had new boiler Vaillant 424 heat only open vent boiler installed with new flue and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock