Search the forum,

Discuss Waste Manhole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
(New to forums and not a plumber)

My mother-in-law has just popped round in a fluster. Apparently her next-door neighbour has had a builder round to discuss installing a new en-suite bathroom. As part of his checks he lifted the manhole cover outside their homes (they live in a terrace) and the neighbours builder did the classic 'sharp intake of breath' upon doing so.

Apparently my MIL's cottage shouldn't be connected to the manhole that's outside her neighbours house. 'It could cause a blockage' or something along those lines - I only got a 3rd hand version of the story.

The manhole is actually in the neighbours driveway and we can't see another manhole specifically for my MILs house.

These cottages are well over 100 years old.

The neighbour has been telling my MIL that she'll have to get it rectified and of course my MIL is in a right state as she doesn't want to have to fork out big money on this. She bought the house 2 years ago and nothing came up on the survey about this.

I know NOTHING about this kind of thing, but am hoping that someone here will do.

Thanks in anticipation.

James

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums James.

What you describe is not uncommon in a terrace row, snowhead has added a brilliant link to explain things.

Last edited:
At the point the drain from M.I.L leaves her property and enters the neighbours, it becomes a common drain and the responsibility of the local Water company.

Ring them, they'll come and look and give an unbiased opinion.

As an example but may not fit the circumstances exactly;

https://www.unitedutilities.com/services/wastewater-services/sewers-and-drains-explained/

And if the Neighbour's builder is going to make any changes at or downstream of the manhole they'll need the Water company's permission and will have to pay for a survey/inspection.

Last edited:
Do not panic,and certainly don't spend any money. Your Mother in Law's drainage will have an established ,"Easement by Prescription", provided it has been in use for period of 20 years.
Further more any work done by the neighbour that interferes with that right will make the neighbour liable for the direct and consequential costs should MIL suffer as a result. Even a period of less than 20 years is difficult to cancel and shared drainage rights along a terrace of houses with only the occasional manhole is the norm.
When cottages were built a "long drop" at bottom of garden would be more common than mains drainage but from 1970's onward, mains drainage for rural communities was promoted.
The utility to which the water/sewerage rate is paid will confirm when foul drainage was first connected.

Do not panic,and certainly don't spend any money. Your Mother in Law's drainage will have an established ,"Easement by Prescription", provided it has been in use for period of 20 years.
Further more any work done by the neighbour that interferes with that right will make the neighbour liable for the direct and consequential costs should MIL suffer as a result. Even a period of less than 20 years is difficult to cancel and shared drainage rights along a terrace of houses with only the occasional manhole is the norm.
When cottages were built a "long drop" at bottom of garden would be more common than mains drainage but from 1970's onward, mains drainage for rural communities was promoted.
The utility to which the water/sewerage rate is paid will confirm when foul drainage was first connected.

Thanks for the speedy replies chaps.

Having just asked further questions of MIL - she's actually end of terrace and so is the neighbour who's ruffled her feathers. The manhole is on a kind of shared driveway (their driveways are separate, but there's no dividing wall or fence).

I'll have a read of the links and get in touch with her water supplier.

Thanks again!

James

Just sounds like the usual builder speak. All existing work is faulty and needs rectified in their world. Asking local authorities to inspect (while informing them this mystery builder said everything is wrong) is a good way to have the neighbour and their builder put right

Belligerent neighbour should be reminded that any excavation within 3 metres of MIL's property requires a "Party Wall Notice" should it be deeper than foundations of cottage. 100 years ago foundations would not be deep.
All costs, including MIL's surveyor, to be paid by neighbour having work done. This is applicable even though properties don't actually share party wall. Any alteration to drains also requires inspection by Building Control. ( Additional Fees for neighbour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Waste Manhole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock