Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Washing machine vibrations in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys.

What's the best way to absorb washing machine vibrations?
It's currently on a suspended floor and sounds like a rocket take off.

I've got lots of polystyrene I could put underneath to absorb vibrations or any other material you could recommend.

Many thanks

I have not tried these so please make your own mid up on whether or not you think these might help. I've had a search and whilst some people have tried rubber/neoprene and similar mats, they don't seem very effective. This stuff came up on my search though!

It looks like it might be quite effective. A washing machine is a very heavy and powerful piece of equipment that is hard to quieten down but pads like that under the feet or taking place of the feet might make a difference.

Washing machine fixing kits are also available but they are more to stop them wandering off on spin cycle and I don't think they will reduce much noise/vibration to the floor.

Hey guys.

What's the best way to absorb washing machine vibrations?

I've got lots of polystyrene I could put underneath to absorb vibrations or any other material you could recommend.

Many thanks

First, remove the shipping bolts at the rear (shipping bars in the older machines) before plugging in.!!.

And level it up properly, usually the adjustable feet will do it, check mi's.
To slide it in and out on a hard surface, tile, lino etc, use a dab of fairy on the floor for lube

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I have not tried these so please make your own mid up on whether or not you think these might help. I've had a search and whilst some people have tried rubber/neoprene and similar mats, they don't seem very effective. This stuff came up on my search though!

It looks like it might be quite effective. A washing machine is a very heavy and powerful piece of equipment that is hard to quieten down but pads like that under the feet or taking place of the feet might make a difference.

Washing machine fixing kits are also available but they are more to stop them wandering off on spin cycle and I don't think they will reduce much noise/vibration to the floor.

Looks good, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for this. Especially when there are so many similar products on the market that don't work and they all seem to blast each other.
Was hoping to repurpose stuff I've got lieing around, polystyrene, pu foam, old towels etc.
Don't mind adding height to the washer. Saves me bending over.

First, remove the shipping bolts at the rear (shipping bars in the older machines) before plugging in.!!.
And level it up properly, usually the adjustable feet will do it, check mi's.
To slide it in and out on a hard surface, tile, lino etc, use a dab of fairy on the floor for lube

Great advice. Thanks guys. I did all that first but it still sounds like a nuclear explosion.

Or it's faulty, they have systems in them to get the load evenly spread before they spin, I say check level again
[automerge]1583659687[/automerge]
Have the floor up and fill the cavity, search "drum effect"

Or it's faulty, they have systems in them to get the load evenly spread before they spin, I say check level again
[automerge]1583659687[/automerge]
Have the floor up and fill the cavity, search "drum effect"

Aah
Ripping the floor up is a no go. its already been finished.
I'll check the level again but I fear my only option will be to dampen to vibrations with something absorptive.

Many a true word is spoken in jest, are you absolutely 100% sure that you have removed those shipping plugs?, they are normally about 3 of them screwed into the "concrete block" from the rear and lock that block securely for shipping purposes, if they are not all removed then the machine will sound like a concrete mixer. I have two "relatively cheap Zanussis, one is 12 yo, the other ~ 4 and I just ran both of them empty and there is absolutely no feel of vibration, the old one is a bit noisier but that's it. You might run the machine empty and IMO you shouldn,t get any vibration no matter what its mounted on except a faulty machine or the above securing bolts not removed.

Attachments

• transit-bolts-sanmsung-washing-machine.jpg
    transit-bolts-sanmsung-washing-machine.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 10
Don't put too few items in it. The machine needs more than a few separate items to distribute the load uniformly around the tub. Washing machines include some internal shock absorbers or 'friction mounts'. These wear out eventually and need replacing.

There is a 'correct' way to install a washing machine on a suspended floor, which is with the back against a load-bearing wall, so the axis of rotation is parallel to the joists and with the feet positioned directly over joists. The idea is that the vibrating forces are transmitted directly to the supporting wall. Replacing the floor boards under the machine with some thick (hence stiff) ply-wood can help if it's not feasible to get the feet close to the right place.

As others have said, getting the level correct and the weight equally distributed between the feet is also important.

You need to get the physics right to damp vibrations. The lossy material, i.e. the shock absorber(s), must couple the oscillating force to something very rigid/massive so that the mechanical work is converted to heat in the absorber.

Don't put too few items in it. The machine needs more than a few separate items to distribute the load uniformly around the tub. Washing machines include some internal shock absorbers or 'friction mounts'. These wear out eventually and need replacing.

There is a 'correct' way to install a washing machine on a suspended floor, which is with the back against a load-bearing wall, so the axis of rotation is parallel to the joists and with the feet positioned directly over joists. The idea is that the vibrating forces are transmitted directly to the supporting wall. Replacing the floor boards under the machine with some thick (hence stiff) ply-wood can help if it's not feasible to get the feet close to the right place.

As others have said, getting the level correct and the weight equally distributed between the feet is also important.

You need to get the physics right to damp vibrations. The lossy material, i.e. the shock absorber(s), must couple the oscillating force to something very rigid/massive so that the mechanical work is converted to heat in the absorber.

Thanks for the replys guys.
The washing machine is definitely level and the rear bolts have definitely been removed. I've just checked for the third time lol.

How do I mount the washer against a load bearing wall?

I can put some mdf underneath too.

I've got a ton of carpet / underlay / old towels to further dampen vibrations.
What would be the best combination?

If you're saying the machine should run quiet when ran empty then I think there might be a problem with the machine :S

I don't even think it's about the noise. The machine itself vibrates violently when I run it. Anything on top of it falls off.

Thanks again for the replys.

The machine is faulty sounds like it's out of balance book a service call under warranty

Done.
I never considered this until you guys mentioned it. Many thanks.

After the machine is replaced / repaired, how do I mount it against a wall?

What about dampening further vibrations after proper installation?
What are the best DIY materials? Cheers

After the machine is replaced / repaired, how do I mount it against a wall?
You don't 'mount' it. You stand it in a position with the back a couple of inches from a load bearing wall. The 'load' being referred to is not the washing machine, it's the structure of the building. An external wall, for example.

IMO, don't use MDF under a washing machine. Many types turn to mush if they get damp, which is a distinct possibility at some point in the future. It has its fans, but I don't like MDF, period. I suspect that MDF dust will be the next asbestos.

The drum wouldn't rotate if the delivery bolts were still there.
Don't overload it as many do by filling it to the maximum

The machine should not touch the wall they need to be free standing it really shouldn't need anything if installed correctly . Kop
You don't 'mount' it. You stand it in a position with the back a couple of inches from a load bearing wall. The 'load' being referred to is not the washing machine, it's the structure of the building. An external wall, for example.

IMO, don't use MDF under a washing machine. Many types turn to mush if they get damp, which is a distinct possibility at some point in the future. It has its fans, but I don't like MDF, period. I suspect that MDF dust will be the next asbestos.
Don't overload it as many do by filling it to the maximum

Thanks for the replys guys.
I can't get the legs of my washer to position over the joists.
What's the next best way of doing this?

To add to my previous advice often a off cut of worktop or 3 quarter inch ply is placed under the washing machine this is common in buiilt in appliances. Once again I add a correctly installed and level washing machine should operate with no problems at all. Regards kop

The one I forgot to take the transit bolts out did! It tried to destroy itself and it sounded like a revving tank with rocks in the engine but it did run.

I am still rather embarrassed about that one.

To give everyone a laugh in these trying time, have a look at what happens if you disable the balance sensor and put a heavy weight inside. It is a sight to behold!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

Alright guys

Engineer has been round. He said there's nothing wrong with the machine. He checked suspension etc.

He said it was just because it is on a suspended floor.

I put the washing machine on 2 sheets of mdf 18mm and a sheet of carpet and the vibrations were worse than ever.

Could it have been because I left the machine in the middle of the floor as a dry run before putting it back in the corner again?

Need a solution soon. Neighbour is going nucking futs with the vibrations.

My next idea was to buy some of this and stand the machine on top +-carpet

Thanks again

CF

Too many layers, each allows movement, esp the carpet - suggest you lose that. I would screw the 2 sheets mdf together onto the floor then machine on that

Check your local Screwfix counter is open before leaving!
If you try mdf try 1 layer first, extra height might not do you any favours

Check your local Screwfix counter is open before leaving!
If you try mdf try 1 layer first, extra height might not do you any favours

You're saying extra height might make it vibrate more?
I was hoping to glue the 2 mdf sheets together to give it extra strength. I want the platform to sit straight and sturdy to resist the contours in the floor.

Reply to Washing machine vibrations in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock