Currently reading:
Washer/dryer advice

Discuss Washer/dryer advice in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking for advice on a washer/dryer. I do not have space to have 2 separate units and the location is on an inside wall with no external access.
As its an old property, I am concerned that a washer/dryer would produce moisture which could add to any damp problems in the house. Especially as no option to vent externally.
I assume the washer/dryer units have to do something with the moisture, or do they trap it and send it down the waste pipe?

Only alternative drying methods, is going to be a traditional airier in one of the rooms, plus outside washing line in summer.

Any thoughts or experience on this?

The combined washer dryer I had years ago used water to condense the hot air and put it down the waste.

Just a note, combi washer dryers usually have half the load capacity of a washer, so you have to take half the washing out to use it as a dryer.

You can now get heated drying racks, also run a dehumidifier in the room if insufficient ventilation. That will use electricity though. Personally I would not compromise the washer, by buying a washer dryer (see above etc.) but respect that many will have to due to space constraints. Is space an issue for the racks? (Hoist up type?)

Consider also no redundancy if all in one machine is chosen, when it needs repair, and consider the higher purchase price.

Final thought: a certain level of damp is good for health e.g. Eczema. Not black on the walls though.

Cheers,

Roy

Not a fan of the combined units. If theres only one or two of you, maybe not so bad.
You wont get the life out of the combined unit.
We used to have a condenser dryer in the garage, but still found it to make the garage feel damp/humid. Swapped to a standard vented drier and the garage is back to normal.
Wifes uncle used his greenhouse in the winter to dry his clothes.

WE previously had a Bosch washer/dryer and currently have a Beko washer/dryer. All the moisture from the dry cycle is dealt with internally via a condenser which is cooled by mains cold water. All the water is pumped out by the normal waste pipe, no moisture escapes the machine. Would reccommend that you buy from John Lewis with 5 year warranty.

Combined washer driers have small capacity and plenty to go wrong.

Heated clothes driers introduce water vapour into the home which either needs to escape through ventilation or condenses on cold surfaces.

A good way to dry clothes indoors is to use a powered Dessicant Dehumidifier (eg Meaco) in a small room with the washing. The room is heated, energy from water vapour recovered, and distilled water collected in a container. We then use this for a steam iron, which completes some kind of circle.

Reply to Washer/dryer advice in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Back