Search the forum,

Discuss Washer and dryer under stairs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I am buying a new house and I wondered if it was possible to put a washing machine and condenser dryer under the stairs

Last edited:
To be honest, I wouldn't put a a condenser-dryer anywhere in a house that I owned. :)

Anything is 'possible' but it might be expensive to get the necessary drainage and power to the location. You'd need to get a quote from a plumber and electrical to know how much it will cost in your circumstances. You might need to reinforce the floor depending on its construction.

I wouldn't put white goods under a staircase because they are a potential source of ignition and stairs are a fire exit route. Also, if you want to run the the machines at night to take advantage of lower-cost electricity there is a noise issue. Even if you consider these downsides to be acceptable, a future buyer of the property may well not. (I suspect it would be unlawful to rent out a property with white goods under the stairs but you'd need to check that with someone who knows more about landlord's duties than I do.)

IMO, the right place for washing machines, etc. is in a ground floor kitchen or utility room. Preferably, on a concrete floor or on a reinforced area if it's suspended.

Last edited:
IMO, the right place for washing machines, etc. is in a ground floor kitchen or utility room. Preferably, on a concrete floor or on a reinforced area if it's suspended.
It’s interesting that you say this and I agree.
But many houses in USA have the laundry upstairs for convenience of that’s where clothes are put on/ taken off/ stored. And they are often dried by machine - rather than us brits drying outdoors.
And other countries have them in the bathroom.

Reply to Washer and dryer under stairs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock