Discuss Warning About Glow Worm Warranty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
Been to a job today to have a look at a leak on an Ultracom 2 30CXI. It was leaking very slightly from the diverter valve spindle and also the AAV. Glow Worm Group Service have already been out to look at the boiler.

They claim to have drained some of the water into a small jar and left it on site. The water had a brown tinge to it with some settled sediment at the bottom. I drained a little bit of water out the boiler and it was clean. Very clean. Boiler was installed by BG December 2011, has a filter fitted on the return and the commissioning book says X300 and X100 used.

So I rang GW again, they said it needed flushing before they would do any work (code 3) as the system was 'really dirty' and the Fernox test said 0.015 or something like that (sounded like BS to me). So I have today drained the system and flushed it through with some Fernox F3 cleaner and added some Fernox F1 inhibitor. The system was possibly one of the cleanest I've drained. Water was clean as anything. I've now booked it back in for them to attend and actually do the job.

So just watch out these guys must be getting some water off the van to get out of doing the job. I just can't see what was in the jar being out that system. Surely on a system 18 months old, the boiler should be able to withstand a small amount of debris from new rads. If the system needs to be spotlessly clean for a seal on a diverter valve to not leak then to me the boiler is not fit for purpose IMO.

Been to a job today to have a look at a leak on an Ultracom 2 30CXI. It was leaking very slightly from the diverter valve spindle and also the AAV. Glow Worm Group Service have already been out to look at the boiler.

They claim to have drained some of the water into a small jar and left it on site. The water had a brown tinge to it with some settled sediment at the bottom. I drained a little bit of water out the boiler and it was clean. Very clean. Boiler was installed by BG December 2011, has a filter fitted on the return and the commissioning book says X300 and X100 used.

So I rang GW again, they said it needed flushing before they would do any work (code 3) as the system was 'really dirty' and the Fernox test said 0.015 or something like that (sounded like BS to me). So I have today drained the system and flushed it through with some Fernox F3 cleaner and added some Fernox F1 inhibitor. The system was possibly one of the cleanest I've drained. Water was clean as anything. I've now booked it back in for them to attend and actually do the job.

So just watch out these guys must be getting some water off the van to get out of doing the job. I just can't see what was in the jar being out that system. Surely on a system 18 months old, the boiler should be able to withstand a small amount of debris from new rads. If the system needs to be spotlessly clean for a seal on a diverter valve to not leak then to me the boiler is not fit for purpose IMO.

Cheers for the heads up Arran, had the very same with Baxi / heat team, not my installs though! Just flushed em, gave customers reduced bill by a good amount, as both were like gin!

thats why i fit baxis/potterton dont know what there like in other parts of the country but in wales unless its heavily sludged the parts just get changed,we do have a excellent supportive rep though and the heatteam guys are brilliant

thats why i fit baxis/potterton dont know what there like in other parts of the country but in wales unless its heavily sludged the parts just get changed,we do have a excellent supportive rep though and the heatteam guys are brilliant
Not great here Mark, but sounds like you have some good eggs around your way!

Had similar with baxi saying a dirty system had made DV spindle leak and break act head. Also said that the system need extra exp vessel and generally slated our work. What he didn't realise was it was only running the new section,four rooms all on underfloor with about 1.5 meters of copper on flow and returns the rest was unipipe. The main building was on a separate system!

Not great here Mark, but sounds like you have some good eggs around your way!
they are vern, ron the rep is excellent,Gareth has given me his number so we talk directly ,and gary the senior guys extremely helpfull,pat however.....does not get sent o my jobs

So just watch out these guys must be getting some water off the van to get out of doing the job. I just can't see what was in the jar being out that system.

It was probably drawn off a drain cock at a low point.

I know that Vaillant expect certain local authorities / housing associations that fit their boilers to send off a sample to be analysed before they accept the guarantee.

It sounds like this is the great big get out for these companies now that are offering the long guarantees.

Regardless, looks like you've got yourself a rogue engineer there, that likes to get away from doing certain jobs.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact gw and vaillant hexs are prone to blocking up because of the terrible design. Even if the system was filled with the Peckham spring water if would still block up.

they are vern, ron the rep is excellent,Gareth has given me his number so we talk directly ,and gary the senior guys extremely helpfull,pat however.....does not get sent o my jobs
Lol @ Pat.....heard your rant about him before......talking directly means a lot and is how it should be with reason of course!

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact gw and vaillant hexs are prone to blocking up because of the terrible design. Even if the system was filled with the Peckham spring water if would still block up.
Haha class, but true

Had a nightmare with Baxi over a problem which they claimed was due to sludge etc. Basically just looking for a get out clause not to honour the warranty.

Is this a boiler you fitted?

No, I didn't fit it. Don't do installing, just repairs.

TBH I think it's like has been said above, these manufacturers are putting long warranties on the boilers, but looking at every way to get out of replacing stuff.

this is what worries me even with apower flush there will be some particles left in the system makes me wonder if the ext warranties are worth it

I have said for a long time now that the bigger these silly warranties get, the more likely the manufacturers are going to start using any excuse to invalidate them...coincidentally have GW not recently introduced a 15 year guarantee? mmmm

It is just their get out. Pass the blame back to the installer where they can. If you ever need to call them out try to be there for the visit. They are not so smart with the mouth when you are standing next to them......snarling like a dog :lol:

Btw if the system had x100 in it the fernox tester wouldn't work so they were talking pysh.

we have had this on more than once from vaillant same engineers? water spotless also when their engineers have booked replacing certain parts and we found the new part in rubbish their engineer through in customers bin but they took back out as soon as the engineer left so no more installs from us with any vaillant or glow worm boilers for the last 3 years. we have no problem with Worcester bosch so will stick with them

we have had this on more than once from vaillant same engineers? water spotless also when their engineers have booked replacing certain parts and we found the new part in rubbish their engineer through in customers bin but they took back out as soon as the engineer left so no more installs from us with any vaillant or glow worm boilers for the last 3 years. we have no problem with Worcester bosch so will stick with them

Ye fair play to Worcester they are pretty good. I went to a job after a Worcester engineer and the customer said that the heat exchanger was blocked with sludge but Worcester still replaced it free of charge and said that they wouldn't replace it again if it's due to sludge and that they need a power flush! Fair play to them!

Worcester rule over Vaillant for this very reason! All other manufateters try to dodge there warranty, but Worcester honour it! Thank Worcester for that...

I've not had any experience of Worcester warranty as non of the repair contracts I work on fit them now. They used to a few years ago, but the new boilers I come across are Baxi or GW.

fairplay to wb when a day old boiler failed they appeared pronto, just dont like having to deal with leaking 1 day old boilers:) re gloworm and vaillant etc, it just takes forever to get through on the phone!

WB call centre is something else, they have everything computerized and timed, when the techie people are on the phone they know exactly how many people are in the call queue and for how long the longest held call is,they are taken to task if the waiting time is longer than they allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Warning About Glow Worm Warranty in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock