Discuss Victorian terraced drains persistently blocked in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

No.
No mention anywhere when we were buying.
We subsequently learned that neighbors had similar problems though.
I'm not an expert regarding the legal side of selling houses and maybe someone can confirm, but isn't it a legal requirement to disclose problems with utility services when selling your property? Clearly this hasn't happened overnight and probably been an issue for decades. I don't know who you could speak to about it or even if it's worth perusing but if this is going to cost thousands to put right, I'd be wanting answers off both the previous owners and the survey provider as to why it wasn't disclosed.

I'm not an expert regarding the legal side of selling houses and maybe someone can confirm, but isn't it a legal requirement to disclose problems with utility services when selling your property? Clearly this hasn't happened overnight and probably been an issue for decades. I don't know who you could speak to about it or even if it's worth perusing but if this is going to cost thousands to put right, I'd be wanting answers off both the previous owners and the survey provider as to why it wasn't disclosed.
Hi Craig, yes, the vendor should disclose known problems but in this case it would be impossible to prove the vendor knew and deliberately hid it.
The survey is literally that - looking around the property (generall by a bloke in a suit), lifting inspection covers etc is not something that would normally be done - getting a plumber to do a report on the condition of the plumbing would have been helpful (hindsight etc).
There may be some sort of insurance for latent defects on the purchase but thats not something I'm familiar with.
By all means have a poke at the surveyor, vendor, and your own buildings insurance.

Are you on a water meter ? If this is collective problem then your
utility are duty bound to get in there and solve it. Problems with more than 1x drainage system ie a shared network are now the responsibility of the
local utility....not yours...this includes all drains and septic tanks etc.....its relatively new legislation and obviously the people you call wont tell you....but thats the way it now stacks up Centralheatking

Reply to Victorian terraced drains persistently blocked in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock