Discuss Van bucketlist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Time has come for me to upgrade my vw polo to a real van! Getting a long wheel base transit connect with high roof. Got lots of work to do when I get the van. So far on my list I've got roof rack, bulkhead, rhino tubes. Other than that Im lost at how to outfit the interior (racking) and what kind of storage or other nifty things I can have in the van.

Heres what I've got to work with
media.jpg
Any helpfull suggestions will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
If it's long wheelbase I would put a false floor in and put pipe in that instead of tubes. Less likely to be knicked.

Well ye know yourself what ye need to carry. Could put a false floor and ply shelving but I don't kno how much weight ye put in d van. Ye can pick up some nice ply shelving diy kits made especially for each van.
Myself I do mainly commercial servicing/ repair. I've some shelving, then I carry stock/tools in baskets that a bakery might carry fresh bread in. Van can be then emptied or rearranged for large items to b carried.

Somebody on this forum recommended 12v aquarium led light strips on eBay. They are truly amazing. Great in the winter months. As mentioned forget the rhino tubes and go internal.

Don't reckon you'll get 3m of pipe in a transit connect!

As said above, definitely fit a bulkhead, increases security and massively cuts down on noise

Get a bulkhead, a van vault, deadlocks, 12v led lights ( britalitez ) and some nice home made raking!

They do a bulhead with a gap to allow tube down into the passenger foot well a mate of mine had one have a look on ebay for racking loads of dealer rip it out and sellit

from what I've seen they just use crow bars and pull the doors off their runners, no need for any keys!!!!!!!!!!!

As above Bulk Head, The last thing i'd want in a crash was a 30mph ripped out loo hurtling toward the back of me head.

As above Bulk Head, The last thing i'd want in a crash was a 30mph ripped out loo hurtling toward the back of me head.

or a tiny bit of 15mm

Cheers for suggestions going to have to keep them for later as dealer turned around and said its a lease van with no service book just as I was about to sign on dotted line..

Would be good if you registered as a member and put your location up as forum members are often looking for vans, and as a member you might become recommended in time which can only be good for business but doubt you would be allowed to advertise without the ok from the mods first.
Radiators are measured in length and height to start with.

Ok, thanks very much, I'll do that. In terms of measuring, ive got the old pipes coming up with a plastic stop valve to stop water coming out.i have the height but for the length do I measure from the pipe coming up from the floor or from the ends of the valves? Thanks again and sorry for being off topic!

ps Transit Custom or new Vauxhall vivaro sportive have great load through flaps, going through the bulkhead and into the passenger footwell giving over 3 meters in the vivaro.

What year was it?

IF you can get the registration number and the reference number from the front of the logbook then there is a you/gov/DVLA site where you can print off the MOT history and the mileage at the time then if it`s a 1 owner van and you can find out which town the lease company was in then a local Ford dealer would have the service history and more than likely give you a print out of it.

Im just suspect, Ive been saving for this for over 5 years and so far buying a used van seems like navigating in a minefield

Im just suspect, Ive been saving for this for over 5 years and so far buying a used van seems like navigating in a minefield

I would prefer to navigate a minefield than buy a second hand van.

I actually feel sorry for the people that have bought some of my 'pre-loved' vans.
If they were worth keeping I would have done so.
It's not that they were neglected, or mistreated, they just became a burden with repairs and maintenance.
My view is to replace vans at 5 - 7 years. Between that period, all the major items need replacing, shocks, springs, clutches, brake discs and so on.
Tyres and brakes don't bother me but all the other items start to get expensive.

If possible, get a new van and look after it. It will probably last you 10 - 15 years.

New van might be an idea.. Though I cant see myself saving up enough for one as I will desperately need one when Im done with my gas safe next year.

If the dealer is local then what I said in #27 won`t take much effort and is as good as a fully stamped service book but as there are Mileage Correction companies that can do their job in seconds with a laptop for a £60 nobody is safe.

Get a bigger van, the only difference between a connect and vivaro is the shape really, there roughly the same foot print

Get a bigger van, the only difference between a connect and vivaro is the shape really, there roughly the same foot print

No it isn't the only difference, the vivarios French. Therefore rendering it useless.

I'm being given a vivaro on tuesday whilst my transporter goes off for surgery :(

I'm being given a vivaro on tuesday whilst my transporter goes off for surgery :(

I have a transporter too, I find the trafic & vivaros nice & comfy up front, probs a nicer drive than my t5! What surgery are you having out of interest?

I have a transporter too, I find the trafic & vivaros nice & comfy up front, probs a nicer drive than my t5! What surgery are you having out of interest?
IMG_1573.jpg

builders merchant wagon took it for a drag this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

gutted wasn't the word, considering I moved it from one side to were it was as I thought the first spot blocked the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if your van is happy then youre happy, if your van is unreliable then youll be unreliable, if the van is off the road then so are you

good van, good working life, that and get deadlocks

Defo get extra lock as Transits are getting targetted by gangs with skeleton keys!

just happened to me this weekend. didn't go into the back of the van since Thursday night. drove it to the shops on fri sat and sun never opened the back till monday morning to find it empty!! No damage to the locks at all van was locked. must have had a key of sorts. videos how to use them are on youtube with links to buy them for £30!!

just happened to me this weekend. didn't go into the back of the van since Thursday night. drove it to the shops on fri sat and sun never opened the back till monday morning to find it empty!! No damage to the locks at all van was locked. must have had a key of sorts. videos how to use them are on youtube with links to buy them for £30!!

Bloody hell that's bad! Will insurance cover it?

insurance companies are all *****. Dont know yet they're being really cagey about it. took the van away saying they were going to change the locks then gave it back saying no damage no need to change them! but what? eh I dont understand ? fraud unit involved! what? so took van back from garage not pursuing getting locks changed as excess is £350 and locks are £300

tool insurance is with a different company so will see?

insurance companies are all *****. Dont know yet they're being really cagey about it. took the van away saying they were going to change the locks then gave it back saying no damage no need to change them! but what? eh I dont understand ? fraud unit involved! what? so took van back from garage not pursuing getting locks changed as excess is £350 and locks are £300

Good luck mate..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Van bucketlist in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock