Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant VRT 392 Thermostat (wired) not working in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, my Vaillant VRT 392 Thermostat just stopped working, it's completely dead, I read another thread suggesting changing batteries, but this model does not use batteries, it's wired to a Vaillant control center VR65 with eBUS, my boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC plus 624, anyone can help identify the problem will be great appreciated, thanks.

Yes, I am 100% sure about that. it's model VRT 392, NOT VRT 392f.

Attachments

• VRT 392 a.jpg
    VRT 392 a.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 8
  • VRT 392 b.jpg
    VRT 392 b.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 12
Are you sure it hasn’t got batteries ebus is just an information cable doesn’t carry any power shows you where the go in these instructions https://norcalgas.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/427-instructions.pdf
Strictly speaking, eBus can, and is, used to supply up to 100mA to power to devices. Its signalling levels ("0" = ~10V, "1" = ~20V) were selected to allow devices to derive a power supply from the signal by using a simple filter/regulator circuit.

If I were the OP, I'd use a multimeter to check the eBus signal arriving at the thermostat was in the range 9–24V. If it is, the thermostat is likely a gonna. If it's not then the cable, connections or boiler are the suspects.

If the OP has the right skills, tools and time on their hands, they might want look at the board carefully for dry joints and/or swollen capacitors. These can sometimes be fixed.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, eBus can, and is, used to supply up to 100mA to power to devices. Its signalling levels ("0" = ~10V, "1" = ~20V) were selected to allow devices to derive a power supply from the signal by using a simple filter/regulator circuit.

If I were the OP, I'd use a multimeter to check the eBus signal arriving at the thermostat was in the range 9–24V. If it is, the thermostat is likely a gonna. If it's not then the cable, connections or boiler are the suspects.

If the OP has the right skills, tools and time on their hands, they might want look at the board carefully for dry joints and/or swollen capacitors. These can sometimes be fixed.
thanks for the tip,

the signal arriving at the thermostat is 1.97V, and the signal from the eBUS connecter on Vaillant control center VR65 is 1.97V as well, which should be 24V.
On the PCB board of the Vaillant control center VR65, there is a green light flashing slowly, according to the troubleshooting of the VR65, it says 'LED flashes slowly - Communication error in eBUS protocol to the boiler'.
seems to me like no DIY zone.

the signal arriving at the thermostat is 1.97V, and the signal from the eBUS connecter on Vaillant control center VR65 is 1.97V as well, which should be 24V.
One possibility is that the thermostat is faulty and drawing too much current, which is overloading the eBus and pulling the bus voltage down.

Most people would check the thermostat by substitution. If you're an electronics geek, you can find the eBus specification on line and with the aid of an oscilloscope and a dummy load you'll be able to figure out whether the stat the boiler (or the cabling) is at fault.

Someone more familiar with this specific setup than I am may recognise "1.97V" and be able to tie it to a stock fault.

Could be the thermostat, could be the vr65 or the boilers pcb (although unlikely). You could ask on diynot.com as there’s a person there who works for Vaillant will likely know the answer.

Surely the 1.97V indicates a problem!
I would expect somewhere between 9V and 24V depending on what it's doing and how the multimeter behaves.
If you disconnect the thermostat and measure the eBus voltage, is it more normal then?

IMG_0297.jpeg
PS and how about some static handling precautions for that pcb?🤫

Reply to Vaillant VRT 392 Thermostat (wired) not working in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus combi boiler that was installed just over 6 years ago. It has been serviced annually, the most recent service being about 2 months ago. The controller is a Vaillant VRT 350f wireless type. Recently a spanner symbol and a “Service Heat Generator” message have...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
I am considering replacing my existing boiler with the new 2023 Vaillant ecotec plus 625 boiler. I currently have 3 x Heatmiser neoStat thermostats that are all hard wired back to the wiring centre; one for the central heating, one for a room with UFH, and one for the HW. I use the Heatmiser...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I'm having with my Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 boiler (R1 PCB). It was installed in 2013 and has worked perfectly up until this week. When the boiler does start, it runs for a few seconds, makes some noises, and then shuts down again. I've...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock