Discuss Vaillant or Worcester for reliability? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

I thought I'd post here so I only get experienced opinions.
I've installed hundereds of Worcester Greenstars, I do offer Main as a cheaper option but in a few weeks I'm doing my first Vaillant ecotec pro as customer insisted on Vaillant.

I'll be registering as an installer and going on a Vaillant course in the mean time.

Just wondering if there are any common problems with the Vaillants or what the reliability of the ecotecs are like (since the original burner gasket problem).

As for Worcesters I'm very happy with them especially being able to offer 7 year guarantee's but I have never been to a faulty ecotec (albeit only a couple of faulty Greenstars) and the old vaillants seemed to age better than the Worcesters (apart from 24i and 28i, classics)

I strip down a lot of Worcester Greenstars too which can be a little awkward as well as having to replace the gaskets but this seems to be the case with most A rated boilers. How do the Vaillants compare stripping down?

I think I will start advertising as both Worcester and Vaillant registered installer as Vaillants are popular with some customers although if a customer insists on a boiler it is usually Worcester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaillants are a doddle to strip down, I don't like Worcesters mainly the greenstars but that's my personal opinion.
Ive worked on loads of vaillants and that's most likely why I prefer them.

Cheers, helpful. Is there a burner gasket that needs replacing when stripping down? I'll find out on the course anyway. Worcester Greenstars are awkward but I like how they are always in good condition if serviced regulary. I.e no random leaks after a few years on thermisters etc or noise problems which I get on Mains and I've replaced a few parts on Baxi duotecs so they arn't popular with me either.

I do believe from my experience that Worcester and Vaillant build quality are a cut above the rest but I'm feeling Vaillant may edge it if they arn't so awkward to strip down. I think there are more Worcesters fitted around here especially by us hence having worked on more faulty Worcesters.

I do like the fan pressure check feature of the Worcesters which indicate if it needs a full strip down although I do them after a few years regardless of fan pressure.

To clean out the Worcester Greenstars properly you need to give it a quick blast with a hosepipe in the heat exchanger with the burner and condensate trap removed, catching water into a bowl underneath. A Pain to do but there is no other way to clean properly as their service kits can't reach it all, they even reccomend pouring a cup of water down the heat ex but that doesn't help much.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are a couple of vailant vids on youtube i think which show you some striping down.

One of the most important tips for fitting a Vaillant is make sure the system is clean. If you use X800 when flushing, make sure its well rinsed out the system. You can get F75 faults (pump or water pressure sensor) quite easily, they are not quite as "forgiving" as some other boilers.
I prefer Vaillants myself, get on their advance points scheme and I think they offer free training days every now and again.

cheers, yep the rep is sorting out a training day for me. I usually use x800 on dirty systems and leave in working system for a few days up to a week if possible before the job or if it isn't bad then F3 once installed for a hot flush then drain down the next day and top up with inhibitor.

phone your local vaillant rep an he'll get you on the ecotec course foc. i prefer vaillant to.....purely cos i don't like all the plastic in the worcester's.

Only problem with Vaillant is they don't offer a 7 year guarantee as Worcester do as well as the Worcester brand probably being better known to the customer, I feel it is often a deal clincher.

But if I start to believe after a few years of fittings some ecotecs that they're better then that is what I will sell of course.

Just read through the ecotec pro servicing instructions. When stripping down heat ex (if it needs it) It says the seal should be replaced each tome. Is this the small round one that sits directly on the burner or the larger ring before that, or both?

Both come together in the same kit, and sit in the groove on the back of the burner door.
I don't do installs, but just wondering why you guys would want to push a boiler with a 7 year warranty over a boiler with a 3-4 year warranty. Surely you want to be getting the breakdowns back of the appliance rather then going straight to manufacturers? Probably a logical awnser here but I'm missing it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant or Worcester for reliability? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I'm having with my Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 boiler (R1 PCB). It was installed in 2013 and has...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 boiler and would greatly appreciate your expert advice. The Problem: Heating...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock