Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant ecomax flue corrosion? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Hi guys, looking at a vaillant and the flue shows signs of corrosion on the air intake, I put my analyser in and o2 was coming back at 20.9% with no co readings so flue integrity is fine. It must be caused by water ingress from rain but wondering if I should at risk it or not.

20190810_182347.jpg

What happens when you pod with a screwdriver?

could be ingress could be condensation is there enough drop on the flue to take the rain water away. i would tell customer that flue needs to be changed due to corrosion

Screwdriver didn't go through :), it's about a 3m run of horizontal flue, this is the connection just after the elbow at the boiler, pressing along the bottom of the flue along the entire length, it's clear that the area where the corrosion is, the flue is weakened and if if squeezed hard enough it would probably break.

I would AR it and give a warning notice explaining that it is safe at the minute (if it is) but requires urgent attention.
I would in this case give a date to comply by and make it clear on the notice. Only your judgment will tell you if that seems a reasonable thing to do as you're the man on the job.
It sounds like rainwater but again, you have seen it and tested it.

Pretty sure it's rainwater, if it was condense then surely the flue would fail integrity test. I wrote a warning notice explaining the flue is ok now but there is a risk that future it isn't, I don't think it's at risk of failure any minute but advised to replace anyway. Customer is weighing up whether it's worth it though as boiler is 15 years old and the temp dial for the heating does nothing too so probably not worth spending money on.

Pretty sure it's rainwater, if it was condense then surely the flue would fail integrity test. I wrote a warning notice explaining the flue is ok now but there is a risk that future it isn't, I don't think it's at risk of failure any minute but advised to replace anyway. Customer is weighing up whether it's worth it though as boiler is 15 years old and the temp dial for the heating does nothing too so probably not worth spending money on.
condensation on outside of flue was what i meant not inside,

condensation on outside of flue was what i meant not inside,
Condensation caused by room conditions? That would be a hard one to spot, there certainly was no sign of condensation when I was there. Wouldnt the paint finish on the flue protect it from condensation?

I would AR it and give a warning notice explaining that it is safe at the minute (if it is) but requires urgent attention.
I would in this case give a date to comply by and make it clear on the notice. Only your judgment will tell you if that seems a reasonable thing to do as you're the man on the job.
It sounds like rainwater but again, you have seen it and tested it.
I did that. Then the customer got another engineer out who called Vaillant who said it’s fine. He then told me that the other engineer had switched it back on. I told him good for him. But I wouldn’t be signing to say it was safe. That looks like it is inside though. Mine was outside.

Pretty sure it's rainwater, if it was condense then surely the flue would fail integrity test.

It probably would fail, but then again how many times have checked out a normal "leak" only to find it leaks when you've left? :oops:

I also agree, doesn't look like atmospheric corrosion to me.

I did that. Then the customer got another engineer out who called Vaillant who said it’s fine. He then told me that the other engineer had switched it back on. I told him good for him. But I wouldn’t be signing to say it was safe. That looks like it is inside though. Mine was outside.
Each to his own I suppose. There are all sorts of unknowns with a flue like that as I'm sure you know. If others disagree and leave it without further investigation, that is their own look out.

Just be aware!
I have had countless situations where combustion is spot on and air intake testing out 100%, but when delved deeper found pinched inner seals was cause.
Initially thought was just rain water ingress.

Just be aware!
I have had countless situations where combustion is spot on and air intake testing out 100%, but when delved deeper found pinched inner seals was cause.
Initially thought was just rain water ingress.

I agree, a dislodged seal leaking condo doesn’t give out of sync fga readings

Good to know for future if its a common fault. Hard to say how long the flue will last but warning notice was issued and customer happy with my explanation so can't do any more than that.

Looks bad on the first engineer though when it gets turned back on:mad::mad::mad:
It does but the first Engineer was being cautious and correct in putting safety first. If the second Engineer puts it back on after a deeper and more rigorous inspection, he/she takes on the responsibility but knows the cause of the corrosion and must be satisfied there is no risk.
Some will just turn it back on regardless and they are very silly people.
I think the end user can tell if the Engineer is talking sense or not, most of the time.

Vaillant flue seals are crap. They warp out of shape and a bit of condense passes through and causes this issue. It doesnt let gases through but condense seeps through.

Reply to Vaillant ecomax flue corrosion? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock