Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant boiler change in operation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My Vaillant boiler now only fires up for around 30 secs then goes off. The egg timer symbol then appears and flashes for several minutes. After that it fires up again and heats the rads. Would be grateful if anyone could suggest why this is happening. Thanks.

The boiler is cycling. Ie. Cutting in and out too frequently. The egg timer is in effect blocking the boiler from firing, until the anticycling time limit has passed.

Is this happening at its first startup say in the morning or is it after a zone shuts or TRVs start closing in with boiler on for some time?
Its probably exceeding its target temperature by 5C and going into recycle, what is the target temperature set to?.
What model Vaillant?.

Is this happening at its first startup say in the morning or is it after a zone shuts or TRVs start closing in with boiler on for some time?
Its probably exceeding its target temperature by 5C and going into recycle, what is the target temperature set to?.
What model Vaillant?.
Happens every time the boiler fires up, when room temp drops below desired temperature. Flow temp set at 75 degs. Only happens the once, and then boiler operates normally after a few minutes until desired temp reached. Boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418.

Have you got a manual or/and a automatic (ABV) bypass valve, if a ABV check its setting index, the system temperature may still be too high after the last shut down to allow it not to reach 80C and burner trip on the initial fire up, if you have a 3 port valve then bypass not required.
Can you see what (d.01) the pump overrun time is and (d.02) the anticycle time likewise.
Can you also check the flow/return (d.40/d.41) temps next time its firing and also the circ pump make/model/mode&setting.

Your name rang a bell there so I looked back through your thread on the last? problem with this boiler, you said the engineer changed a sensor then, do you know what sensor he changed?.

Last edited:
Happens every time the boiler fires up, when room temp drops below desired temperature. Flow temp set at 75 degs. Only happens the once, and then boiler operates normally after a few minutes until desired temp reached. Boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418.
Bit more info. If I bring boiler on by turning room stat up, boiler comes on until it reaches 75 degs. If I wait until room temp falls below room stat setting, boiler comes on only for 30 secs by which time it has only reached around 35 degs and then goes off and egg timer symbol flashes for a few minutes before boiler comes on again until it reaches 75 degs.

Not sure if relevant and/or whether it might point to the room stat as issue, but boiler fires up and stays on until temp reached for hot water.
That Honeywell stat has a number of versions/options (I think there's a letter at the end of the serial number indicating which), and one version has a "heat anticipator" the exact operation of which I don't understand. It might be the little resistor (heater) found in some thermostats to reduce the hysteresis of the sensor. Could that be contributing to the issue - it shouldn't I guess?

IMG_0412.jpeg

Yes, that's how the anticipator works, if the stat is knocking off the boiler then the pump will run for the d.1 the overrun set time if it's going into anticycle then the anticycle time is set in d.2 there is also a s parameter telling you if its overrun or anticycle. The remaining anticycle time will also be displayed in one of the d parameters I think, if boiler is in recycle, remaining anticycle time is shown in d.67.
d.1 overrun defaults to 5 minutes, the anticycle actual time is per table, below, if thehe target temp is 75C then the annticycle time is 1 min irrespective of the set time which has a default setting of 20, apart from setting 1 (min) which strangley enough gives a actual anticycle time of 2 minutes.

1702929755194.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all replies. I thought I was out of warranty, but on checking, I have till March. Called Vaillant engineer out, who fitted new pcb and flow and return sensors which appears to have fixed early recycling issue.

Reply to Vaillant boiler change in operation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock