Discuss Urgent unvented hot water cylinder help needed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
got to be one the governments special super dooper fast trackers

I am extremly impressed with the lever valve on the hot water outlet, how lethal is that???
I see loads of installs where the D1 and D2 pipes are installed incorrectly, but I can honestly say I have never seen one this bad

does the installer have to put their details/name on the sheet ? also can u run the tundish off into a sink? only asking as im a trainee and like to know the rightway of doing things thnx

Last edited by a moderator:
what a mess how can these people get away with this what a disgrace to the industry i can see why he didnt want to fill the bench mark out!

That is unbelievable! though i did enjoy playing spot the problem. Reminded me of the cylinder they had at college, that was purposely installed wrong! haha. jeeez

is that IV on the hws? That's a big no no!

Oh and petty I know but the pipes should be lagged

this thread just popped up again in my inbox and after re-reading it I have to humbly retract the first part of my original statement, doh!
note to oneself, never underestimate the value of double checking, "measure twice, cut once" as my old tutor used to say.
Still should be lagged though :eek:)

I think the advice given so far is spot on. The only thing I would add is that the installer is allowed to draw off a balanced cold supply prior to the combi valve, using a pressure reducing valve on this. Some manufacturers (Gledhill for one) recommend doing this as it increases the amount of water available to the taps (assuming the mains pressure is over the usual 3 bar working limit for these cylinders. The advantage of doing this would be if the incoming mains is at, say, 10 bars, he can have one hot supply at 3 bars, one cold supply at 3 bars and thus get the benefits of using the fullest amount of incoming pressure/flow rate possible. If that makes sense! If he's done it this way there needs to be a small potable water expansion vessel on the cold pipework after the pressure reducing valve. I doubt there is though!

All of this said, I've not even sat my course yet and I can tell that the D1 and D2 pipework is simply wrong. Any valve on the hot water outlet is wrong. As I understand it all outlets should have separate isolating valves. I believe this is to stop a vacuum situation building up in the cylinder? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this one.

Last edited:
hi all,
i'm new to all this and have recently passed bpec vented and unvented, this is pure frightening to see.
the advice on here is great and very helpful. with mechanical experience, recent plumbing exams passed and a new business I hope to be a part of the change people wish to see.

regards
John

lovely install - think I found the plumber! Defo not got his UVHW ticket though

13368_stevie%20(1).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent unvented hot water cylinder help needed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back