Discuss Upvc window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

badbob

A builder has just fitted a UPVC window. But it's not straight, if I look at the cill it has a upward bulge. What effect will this have, will it smash the glass?

The cill was put on bare brickwork. If I look inside under the cill there is a gap across for most of the wide, the cill isn't resting evenly on the brickwork.

Just had a look and in the middle you can see the rubber strip from the edge panels, it's a good 6mm higher than the edge.

Are all builders useless? We had another one and couldn't even make a stable support beam.

I just noticed there's a blob of mortar ontop of the bricks between the cill, in the middle and this is smack where the window is raised. So I'm going to place angled wood strips to keep it raised, then use a little chisel to remove the blob of mortar. I really shouldn't have to do this, and he should have checked before placing the cill. Once that's done the bulge should go and frame will straighten out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with all things upvc is that they expand like mad. Most window frames require at least a 5mm gap all the way around. Supported off the brick by shims, not expanding foam.

You can of course use foam as a filler. But it should not be used to hold the window in place.

Top & bottom have gap, but left & right side was a tight fit. He did not place shims ontop of the bricks. But he did put shims between glass and frame.

I've removed the mortar blobs between brick and cill (using a oild small flathead screwdriver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upvc window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock