Discuss upgrading my W plan system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

layman1

Hi All,

first i will describe my current system. I have a standard sundial W plan system in conjunction with a standard boiler, an indirect open vented hot water tank and single pump. the HW tank is small (90L), but has a fast recover coil. to maximise the use/efficiency of this tank am told that the boiler water temperature should be set to the maximum, however this is way too hot to be circulating around the heating circuit with small people in the house.

I'm considering getting a plumber in to rearrange pipework slightly but would like some considered opinions first. please don't suggest replacing the whole lot with combi / unvented etc etc etc.

My thoughts are that i need a motorised blending valve such as the ESBE VRG130 with thermostat on the flow line of the central heating circuit to reduce the flow temperature available to something more like 60 celsius by blending with the cooler return line. however, looking at the suggested schematics from ESBE this must be in place BEFORE the pump - which makes perfect sense as it has to draw water from both the boiler and return line.

I believe i will need to add a second pump solely for pumping the hot water circuit - being a fast recovery HW tank i do not believe that gravity circulation would suffice (i.e. conversion to C plan).

If this is a daft idea please offer some constructive alternative. If this is an OK idea, i assume that the heating relay will need to be altered slightly to accommodate the extra pump but other than that do you see any major pitfalls? also, would the existing pump remain prior to the existing diverter valve or would you move it to be after the diverter valve on the HW circuit only?

many thanks in advance

layman1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to upgrading my W plan system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock