Discuss UPDATE PLEASE READ: How we now handle people asking about Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/t...eople-who-shouldnt-be-messing-with-gas.96735/

When we refuse help for people when they shouldn't be getting it, please be polite about it, or just don't reply at all. :)

I want the forum booming again. And we're putting off people far too easily it seems, just be replying with insults and telling them go get somebody in who knows what they're doing etc. That's not good enough.

We'll have a directory soon, of Heating Engineers, Bathroom Fitters, Plumbers etc - So we'll be able to professionally respond with links to our directory and actually still help them out. Rather than just insulting them, so they don't even ask about their taps or whatever in the future.

Is that okay? Or am I being unreasonable?

Dan,its this simple,if someone died through advice given on this forum the HSE would be contacting you asking why you or your experienced admins did not stop it,the forum would die rapidly if we were ever linked to a death by advice given on here ,over the years we have had some right idiots to put up with ,the simple fact is FB are killing us,people are lazy and want everything on one page

No, Dan.

The forum nearly died because we were running with old software that didn't work with the devices in use, because the software was double posting, if posting at all, because there were spurious posts coming over from the tilers forums, and because it was appearing we had no support from you.

We love this place, Dan, we love what you've given us. But don't blame us for nearly killing the forum by knocking a few noses out of joint!

Also a gas engineer is often a plumber or heating engineer,our problem is ,not everyone is gas safe,we try our best by asking for their gsr number,if they wont provide one we close the thread for safety reasons,we also put up with a lot of abuse on here sometimes

I've taken the discussion between moderators to the moderators forum as I've included some info in there about what we might be able to do.

I'm not taking any more suggestions on this here. It's happening. We're not closing threads now for any reason but spam.

but why cant you close the thread

i got a senorio for you

persons not gas safe

he asks for boiler repair advice

we ask for his gas safe reg

he says he hasnt got one

we replay

For obvious reasons, we won't and can't help you fiddle with things that fall under strict laws, laws that are there to prevent people from blowing themselves, or other people up.

<tongue-in- cheek>We're not too fussed about them blowing themselves up - Darwin Award and all that. But it's the other people we're bothered about that didn't have a choice in the matter.</tongue-in-cheek>

UKPlumbersForums.co.uk is here for all types of plumbers. But to repair or install anything that requires you to comply with laws, you'll need to follow the correct procedure to prove you're competent (i.e. registered with Gas Safe and have a Gas Safe ID).

You're welcome to ask about water plumbing and whatnot. But lay off the Heating Engineer-related questions please. Carrying on may result in your account being restricted or suspended from the forum.

he goes aways and asks on the diynot forum and gets and answer

4 months later

b person comes along

and says the fix is needs a new gas valve/pcb etc and easy fix

c person comes along and has the same boiler as the op and sees whats wrong with his boiler and orders a new valve and fits it himself

i dont get why you need to keep the thread open if the poster isnt gas safe reg theres no info we can give him any other info the mods will have to delete, in regards to fixing etc

in the end makes more mess and more work

see my point dan ????????

(edit)

theres no plus/ advantage of keeping the thread open is there

if so can you list them?

The second reply would warrant perhaps a link to the first time we posted the advice. And an offer to guide them to the heating engineer directory we're making, or perhaps to contact the boiler manufacturer (I'm hoping to get manufacturers on board here, even if not sponsors, with a free account) either on the forum or directly, and it gives us a chance to help them out on this one thing whilst not actually fixing their issue. So they come back.

That's the absolute worst case that you've given me.

What I'm actually finding is people being insulted by the no holes bared setup we have of throwing hissy fits. Point in case the thread earlier that spurred all this on.

The second reply would warrant perhaps a link to the first time we posted the advice. And an offer to guide them to the heating engineer directory we're making, or perhaps to contact the boiler manufacturer (I'm hoping to get manufacturers on board here, even if not sponsors, with a free account) either on the forum or directly, and it gives us a chance to help them out on this one thing whilst not actually fixing their issue. So they come back.

That's the absolute worst case that you've given me.

What I'm actually finding is people being insulted by the no holes bared setup we have of throwing hissy fits. Point in case the thread earlier that spurred all this on.

i think your personally digging a bigger hole sorry

and tbh no thats the most regular on either my boiler is noisy, wont light , wont turn on

there the most popular

and how is (for training)

We do not discuss gas in open forum.

But with guys like you, who are training and whom we feel we have a responsibility to help with your understanding, there is a get out.

Increase your post count up to 100+ with meaningful posts then apply to join the Arms. We're happy to help you in there out of public view.

(non gas safe)

Yep you need a gas Safe engineer out. Need to read the forum rules mate. Will probably be under warranty if installed legally,

If you are gsr then get your post count upto ten and then send your gas safe details to a moderator so you can gain access to the inner gsr sanctum where gas issues can be discussed openly.

Okay, so for the first few questions you give as examples. What would the instruction manuals say to do, to check, BEFORE they get their plumber in?

And why can't we reply with that kind of advice. Then offer one of our gas fitters, rather than loosing a sale to the manufacturers connections?

Okay, so for the first few questions you give as examples. What would the instruction manuals say to do, to check, BEFORE they get their plumber in?

And why can't we reply with that kind of advice. Then offer one of our gas fitters, rather than loosing a sale to the manufacturers connections?

nothing as to test you need to be gas safe no fine line

we have been doing they have been taken from replys to thread

and we do check the i require the services of a gas safe engy

already been doing this dan

I've rang Worcester Bosch and they've told me to turn it off and on and read codes to them and things before they've sent somebody out.

So there is a process to find out what the person is doing first here.

Clearly a bloke who's GSR has ran out and he's fitting a boiler he's not seen for a while and coming on sounding like he knows what hes talking about needs a reply that directs him to apply for GSR forum and politely telling him he won't get advice.

The forum members need telling not to advise them (if they don't already - why are we still being asked?)

I just don't think we are doing enough at many levels. If it has got to a thread and we say no there and then, I've not done my job directing them to the right place beforehand.

yea there fault codes (gives them what parts it may need)

shouldnt be fitting a boiler if he isnt gas safe no ifs no buts, and we do

Get a gsr in. You are neither competent nor qualified to open a boiler up. Removal of the case is classified as gas work.

Right ok hope you understand, as we don't allow gas repair advice on an open forum for safety reason

Get your post count upto 10 (non spamming)

Then you need to pm a mod for further details (croppie, applumbing or gasman)

again posts from members

thing is you cant direct them if there not qualified, you can ask them where they are to see if a memeber is close to them but you cant please everyone and some just throw hissy fits becuase you said then cant do somthing

hmmm!!
dont we have a rule where it says
'' if you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing'' ?

if a member offers advice then it is their name on the court order, not yours!!

• Agree
Reactions: Dan
Mine, the forums, Untold Developments Ltd (the owner of the brands), or the forum member providing the advice, is a loss in my eyes either way. We helped somebody get advice that shouldn't have done.

What I'd like to do is avoid the questions in the first place. And section off the two types of member. The people who can discuss gas and fuels etc. And those that can't.

I'm even considering hooking up somehow with the database of GSR. Something I'd like to meet with them about. So that if a member registers with the same details they have on their database, by using an API, we could perhaps automatically send them to a whole different type of forum for them. And keep the normal one for the normal guys, and erase their threads not just close them. As if we're a forum about Pets or Space and they're posting gas stuff here. Like whaaaat? Why would we know that? Type thing and get rid of their questions.

I'm thinking out loud still here. But I'm working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to UPDATE PLEASE READ: How we now handle people asking about Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock