Discuss unvented water heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
this has been installed like this for 5 years, wether or not it has worked properly is another question havent spoken to everyone in the building yet but I can't imagine it working

042.jpg

Last edited:
i dont know this make, but any i have fitted require either an expansion vessel or a loop of pipework on the cold supply to take up expansion, everything needs an iso valve and check valve, and the termination of the expansion relief is superb, other than that looks like a good job

if it is unvented then i can't see the temperature relief valve! or a pressure reducing valve, or a tundish, or an expansion vessel unless it's inside the heater casing somewhere? The cold feeds the tap so expansion down cold mains not permitted in this case. Apart from that it's fine!!!!! Stand well back and ....... wait for the explosion!!!!!!!!
Unless it has/was supposed to have a 'vented tap', which looking at it i doubt cos theres no 'special tee fitting'.

nice !

when i was with connaught got sent to a burst undersink heater . tenant had reported her hot tap dripping , 'plumber' proceeded to fit tap revivers to the vented tap! he'd ripped the long brass spindle out the hot and crashed in the reviver valve. i covered his rse by saying the stat was faulty. see it all on the maintenance detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
zip are not to bad . repaired quite an old hydro boiler that was constantly filling, was still able to to get a service kit for the micro float valve.

the copper looks nicely polished.
the fittings and pipework dont look 5 years old

Ive seen these . If your coffee is too hot you put it where the cup is and then twist the red knob , it gives a shot of cold water to cool it down. They are all the rage you know:eek:

If the unit holds less than 15 ltrs then its not classed as an unvented unit so there is the stringent safety controls as temperature pressure relief valve, though it will have safety electrical cut outs. More than likely it may be able to expand to waste if its under 15 ltrs hence the reason its on the cold feed. I have never been involved with zip but im sure its a part of Heatrae Sadia.

TTB

ive fitted these in commercial with the full kit its a 15L multipoint its feeding a kitchen sink and whb, the TPRV has been dripping into that cup

you have to buy safety devices seperately at an extra £120

Last edited:
If the unit holds less than 15 ltrs then its not classed as an unvented unit so there is the stringent safety controls as temperature pressure relief valve, though it will have safety electrical cut outs. More than likely it may be able to expand to waste if its under 15 ltrs hence the reason its on the cold feed. I have never been involved with zip but im sure its a part of Heatrae Sadia.

TTB

on manufacturers instructions it asks you to put all safety devices on the cold feed into the unvented water heater, these are commercial units dont see much in domestic. only when the nearest cold draw off point is further away than 4.2m is no expansion vessel required.

Last edited:

TTB

not to sure but if i mind right when i was searching for the part for the old zip hydro boiler was getting results for down under , think thats were the parent co. 's from

TTB
Sorry ttb but beg to differ! Under 15 litres was not classed as coming under building regs but is still unvented and was under impression still 'must have' temperature relief valve fitted to vessel, not pipework even if under 15l. Doesn't matter unless it has an open vent of some kind. All unvented must have stat @ 60, cut-out @ 85 & temp relief valve @ 90. New building regs include all unvented heaters, even under 15 litres although do not have to notify bldg regs dept.

Looks like its under 15 litres, therefore different rules. Still a poor job though.

that is the way to install it if it is low pressure and if your nearest cold feed draw off is over 4.2m away, otherwise you need to fit all safety devices I know it is 15L but if you look up the MI's on the net you'll see for yourself it is constantly dripping from the TPRV because there is nowhere for the water to expand.

Sorry ttb but beg to differ! Under 15 litres was not classed as coming under building regs but is still unvented and was under impression still 'must have' temperature relief valve fitted to vessel, not pipework even if under 15l. Doesn't matter unless it has an open vent of some kind. All unvented must have stat @ 60, cut-out @ 85 & temp relief valve @ 90. New building regs include all unvented heaters, even under 15 litres although do not have to notify bldg regs dept.

Totally agree with safety cut outs and safety valves but , how would you class a thermalstore with a coil volume a volume 8 ltrs or 14 ltrs , is that classified as unvented.

TTB

TTB

thermal stores now come under new part g building regs although not sure if they need to be notified or not

thermal stores now come under new part g building regs although not sure if they need to be notified or not

Yes, thermal stores are notifiable, under Part G. They are still classified as unvented, Only difference really, is the dirty water is on the outside of the coil. Reason being the thermal store is almost certainly going to be on a sealed system.

Yes, thermal stores are notifiable, under Part G. They are still classified as unvented, Only difference really, is the dirty water is on the outside of the coil. Reason being the thermal store is almost certainly going to be on a sealed system.

I have to disagree there as most thermalstores are open vented supplied by a seperate F&E tank or a combined F&E tank, other point is if they are unvented where does the temperature relief valve and the expansion valve go.

TTB

I have to disagree there as most thermalstores are open vented supplied by a seperate F&E tank or a combined F&E tank, other point is if they are unvented where does the temperature relief valve and the expansion valve go.

TTB

I have to agree they have to be open vented

TTB
Most new systems are sealed, Expansion vessel, pressure relief valve. overheat stat on boiler, controlled pressure, discharge pipe. Whats the difference on the concept to an domestic hot water unvented system? Your heating up large volume of water in a sealed enviroment, same devices required.

Agree you don't need the same controls on open vented systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unvented water heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock