Discuss Unvented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lenny

Hi,
On an unvented system can the central Heating circuit be ran through a cylinder coil? If it can would it require a cylinder stat and motorised valve to prevent the cylinder from over heating?

Many thanks

lenny

You don't have your G3 ticket so you shouldn't be touching an unvented cylinder unless it's under 15ltrs.

I take it you dont know the answer to my question then mushy. What are forums for?
Who said I was installing the cylinder? All I wanted to find out is it possible to tap into the flow and return on the central heating system and run it through the cylinder coil? ***

I take it you dont know the answer to my question then mushy. What are forums for?
Who said I was installing the cylinder? All I wanted to find out is it possible to tap into the flow and return on the central heating system and run it through the cylinder coil? ***

Lenny,

Can I say to you, what I used say to my apprentices, think once, think twice, think thrice, before asking the question, think about what you have asked, and come back to us if you haven't found the obvious draw back to your question

Hi Plouasne,
I have thought about the question... I cant see it being a problem, the cylinder would act like an additional radiator, when it gets up to temperature set by the stat the motorised valve shuts to prevent the cylinder over heating, the water then by-passes the cylinder until the the temperature drops, the motorised valve then opens again and so on..... Have I got this right or am I a million miles away?

Well I would say that you are a quarter of the way there, but the biggest fault/drawback would be that the cylinder would rob the heating circuit of just about all its heat, when the cylinder was asking for heat

Oh dear, have you any alternatives I have a large Ideal standard oil boiler, hot water on demand. It only has central heating flow and return. We shut it down in the summer and get our hot water from a twin coil cylinder that is sourced by solar. It also has an immersion heater. The central heating system passes the cylinder with the unused coil. Thats why I want to tap into the central heating system. Would it be a good idea then to use the immersion to heat up the cylinder in the winter at night when the electricity is cheap, backed up during the day by solar and the central heating.

The house Is quite large the hotwater from the boiler would supply the ground floor and the cylinder would take care of the rest of the house, there is a valve to split it.

Am I getting warmer?

Lenny

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so dismissive.
When you see regular topics like the one asking if it's possible to re-solder a joint you can hardly blame me.

They say assumption is the mother of them all but on the internet it's best to err on the side of caution.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so dismissive.
When you see regular topics like the one asking if it's possible to re-solder a joint you can hardly blame me.

They say assumption is the mother of them all but on the internet it's best to err on the side of caution.

If thats aimed at the thread i posted earlier then theres obviously a minimum level of experience needed before you can post on this forum. please explain what it is.
otherwise stop knocking people who are trying to learn.:mad:

sorry to go off topic

Hi,
On an unvented system can the central Heating circuit be ran through a cylinder coil? If it can would it require a cylinder stat and motorised valve to prevent the cylinder from over heating?

Many thanks

lenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hi guys, I have a question regarding converting an open vent system (copper cylinder) to pressurized, reason being not enough drop from the loft...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock