Search the forum,

Discuss unvented cylinder not signed off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davey666

hi , im looking for some advise . i have a bpec unvented hot water systems ticket but the company i work for wont sign us up on a competent person scheme. today i was sent to a unvented cylinder and i asked the customer for the benchmark book and when the cylinder was last serviced. the h.w.c. was 2 years old , never serviced and had obvious faults. i refused to work on it as it had never been signed off and i cant sign it off. am i right to assume this ?
thanks

Good question and I hope someone can give you a definite answer.
I would assume you (as long as you have a G3 ticket) can still sign it off, providing you see that all faults are sorted. That should pass building regs, but will not pass the manufacturers warranty as it was never registered or serviced first year.
I can't see you being in the wrong if you service & make right an unvented cylinder properly. Paperwork is often lost anyhow.
I know I have signed two unvented units off that were fitted by other installer but no paperwork, for building certificates no problem
Check with your local building inspectors

Last edited:
I would tell you boss it can't be worked on as it's an unregistered install fitted incorrectly and you will only touch it if it's brought up to regs and signed off. You may get put on the cps then

no you are not right...you need to get into the real world
you must of been called to job for a reason,list faults that need rectifying and they accept works or not....you think it is better to leave the custard with a dodgy install,than repairing/correcting
...it was not signed off / no benchmark book..... it is just one of the thousands out there...

i was suggesting playing his boss to get registerted so he can notify his work as required. If his boss wont register him why should he use his qualifications to make him money? i would want to be registerd and have a pay rise for being able to do more.

I agree the customer can have the work done or not if they want to pay for it, the safety of the existing system is there concern until you touch it.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. i advised my manager that i will not work on it and he has agreed i shouldn't. it was a trainer in our office that said i should. problem resolved , nice to know manager had my back.

thanks for the replies. i advised my manager that i will not work on it and he has agreed i shouldn't. it was a trainer in our office that said i should. problem resolved , nice to know manager had my back.

If I had been your manager I probably would have tried to get the job of fixing all the faults plus then servicing the unit. Unless the whole thing is a nightmare obviously.
It's lost time and money to refuse work just because it isn't registered or correctly done originally. If I did that with every unvented unit, or oil boiler/oil tank, I would rarely do much repairs or servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unvented cylinder not signed off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Do most composite valves now for unvented cylinders have a tee on them For the expansion valve connection? The ones I used to fit just had the balanced cold connection coming of it. Them I tee'd off downstream of the composite valve for the expansion
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock