Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual condensation in boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a boiler (Potterton Promax 15SL) and after it has been heating the house for a while, when it turns off, warm air gently comes out of the fan unit (which is now off) and the air hits the metal housing of the boiler and condenses, causing it to pool in the bottom of the boiler and eventually drip out there is so much.

Any clever ideas what is causing this or how to fix it? It isn't common, I can find no references on google searches.

See the picture:
Boiler.jpg

This need attention by a gas safe engineer it could possibly be caused by a leakage of flue gases which is potentially dangerous please do not use the boiler until this is rectified . Kop

This need attention by a Registered Gas Engineer it could possibly be caused by a leakage of flue gases which is potentially dangerous please do not use the boiler until this is rectified . Kop
Thanks for the reply Kop. I had an engineer out, all inspected and it looked fine. Regarding your flue gas hypothesis ... That wouldn't happen when the unit is off, would it? And this condensation issue ONLY happens when the unit is off. When on and running all is good. Any further thoughts?

Thanks for the reply Kop. I had an engineer out, all inspected and it looked fine. Regarding your flue gas hypothesis *** That wouldn't happen when the unit is off, would it? And this condensation issue ONLY happens when the unit is off. When on and running all is good. Any further thoughts?
First test would be a flue gas analysis on the flue if you have a failed seal this would allow products of combustion to mix with the incoming air ?? Causing condensation internally , Secondly could it be rain water driving into the flue somehow a gutter leaking ? When the boiler is not in use ? . Couple of things to consider ?

If the situation with the condensation was "fine" and normal then the manufacturer would have fitted a drain in the casing to allow it to drain away.

Needs looking at by another R.G.E who is prepared to investigate correctly and resolve.

Reply to Unusual condensation in boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have 28 year old Valiant Combi Boiler in our Bungalow airing cupboard, where the vertical fan flue goes up into roof. As you can see in photo, we need a firestop plate, A) for fire safety B) Hopefully seal around pipe may stop warm air travelling through gap into roof space, and causing...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am new here and a capable plumbing DIYr. I have just purchased a Fire Bird Silver Boiler House model to replace my old and now leaking Worchester Bosch oil Boiler. The oil condensing boiler instructions have no reference regarding the flow and return connections!! Nor are they...
Replies
Views
Hello, Can anybody please advise. For months now our old Ideal Mini HE C24 (combi boiler) has had pressure problems. It won't stay above 1 bar. Occasionally I top it up, to above one bar, twice in a day, other times if I am happy to leave it about a 1/3 of a bar it won't complain for a week...
Replies
Views
Hello, Our boiler is an old (installed in 2005), Potterton Kingfisher (MF 40-100), using a pressurised system. It recently started short cycling, where the pump runs for a few seconds and then the green LED Flame indicator lights and a couple of seconds later both the pump and the LED stop. This...
Replies
Views
I have an Alpha Intec boiler installed on my loft wall. The flue goes horizontally from the top of the boiler and passes through the wall, exiting high up in the gable end. The boiler was installed about 6 years ago. My attached garage joins the gable wall directly below the flue. I had the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock