Discuss Unsweating a soldered joint tight to ceiling! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I often find on replacing a boiler I have to unsolder a joint far too close to the ceiling than makes me comfortable!! How do you guy say do it without setting fire to the house, I'm always worried the flame will catch something in the ceiling...

this is is an example, the 22mm flow pipe coupler, it was the only bit of 'fresh' pipe to get on... bathroom above etc!

IMG_1029.jpg

If that close leave and clean some new pipe further down to add my coupling in, as somtimes they can be a "&@@ to unsolder, aways don't play ball when you don't want to burn anything :D

Looks like you're half way there already with the tin pinned up.
I do it the same way, mixture of mats, wet rags/towels and bits of metal all pinned up, not had any fires, did have a smouldering joist one time though.

Water spray, heat mats, I always seal the gap around the pipe through the ceiling first too. Get the flame right. And always a fire extinguisher on hand!

Anyone used one of those? Looks handy if it's as good as it looks in the video.

There rubbish too big and take a bit of time to heat up and cool down

Yep It gets a bit hairy , I use a squirter / sprayer and just about soak everything through the hole before I even start , and the all the gear that JC above says ^^^

Try a hot air gun ( some goto 600 degrees) or (as i have) a set of electric tongs with 15, 22 etc fittings - they really do work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unsweating a soldered joint tight to ceiling! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back