Search the forum,

Discuss Undersized boiler do not use in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I've been to a customer today that has a 9 year old baxi duo tec40kw boiler,it runs 20 radiator that all work fine,they have 2 bathrooms and 1 electric shower and again have no issues with hot water.Over the last 4 years baxi have repaired the boiler on 8 occasions, with faults on gas valve expansion tank main heat exchanger and sensor faults.They have had baxi out today as there was a leak on the boiler and the engineer has put a do not use label on the boiler and said that the boiler is undersized and should not be used.Has any one got any advise on this as I thought you would only label a boiler with a do not use if there was a safety issue with the boiler.TIA

Needs to be unsafe for them to label so need more information

Needs to be unsafe for them to label so need more information
That's what I've told the customer and there is no other issue with the boiler as i fitted it 9 years ago.He said the baxi engineer just said it was too small for the house and put a do not use label ,it hasn't been turned off or a warning notice issued Baxi have fixed this numerous times and never said anything on all previous visits

Needs to be a reason best bet is for you to phone baxi up and ask them why there’s a danger do not use and no paperwork left on site

It will still be producing condensate, so that does not hold.
The boiler may be undersized when -3 outside, otherwise it is fine. Do a heat loss calculation.
I have seen over-sized and undersized boilers with dry traps.
It does depend how over-sized or undersized they are amongst other things but it is possible for a trap to dry out and leave a situation where the products of combustion are flowing through the condensate pipework. Wouldn't you agree?

I am not saying that this is the case here but as no-one knows why the user was told that it should not be used and that it had been labelled by baxi, I thought it was a good place to start. My thinking was a reason of safety but obviously I wasn't there.

Maybe he just ran out of 'undersized boiler' stickers!
Who knows.

I have seen over-sized and undersized boilers with dry traps.
It does depend how over-sized or undersized they are amongst other things but it is possible for a trap to dry out and leave a situation where the products of combustion are flowing through the condensate pipework. Wouldn't you agree?

I am not saying that this is the case here but as no-one knows why the user was told that it should not be used and that it had been labelled by baxi, I thought it was a good place to start. My thinking was a reason of safety but obviously I wasn't there.

Maybe he just ran out of 'undersized boiler' stickers!
Who knows.
I have only seen condensate traps dry out after extended idle use. Safety? All can happen is exhaust gasses blown down through the trap into the drain or outside. OK this may mean gasses into a kitchen via the waste trap connection usually used for washing machines, all depending on how it is piped up.

It needs a heat loss calculation for sure. Firstly the size of the boiler for the premises has to be determined. Even then, if it is slightly undersized for the worse case example (-3C outside) I cannot see the trap not filling with condensate.

Last edited:
I have only seen condensate traps dry out after extended idle use. Safety? All can happen is exhaust gasses blown down through the trap into the drain or outside. OK this may mean gasses into a kitchen via the waste trap connection usually used for washing machines, all depending on how it is piped up.

It needs a heat loss calculation for sure. Firstly the size of the boiler for the premises has to be determined. Even then, if it is slightly undersized for the worse case example (-3C outside) I cannot see the trap not filling with condensate.

I am only telling you what I have seen.
I wouldn't leave a customers boiler on knowing that the trap is capable of drying out, as the condensate drain is not designed to carry flue gases. Yes it does depend how it is piped. It may not be air tight.
The reason the Baxi chap left a safety note is unknown so it might be nothing to do with dry traps. I was thinking out loud over why it would be labelled that way for being undersized. I can't think of a reason other than that. There might be one I haven't thought of. I have never told a customer that an undersized boiler is unsafe.

Reply to Undersized boiler do not use in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock