Search the forum,

Discuss Underground water leak in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Heĺlo I have a water leak under bathroom floor tiles. It is on the hot water feed to the tap. I noticed the tiles leading to sink warm last few days. Now my radiators are not heating up because the hot water must be getting diverted to the tap. What are my options? Can I get house insurance and make a claim? Will they search and find and then repair? Who pays for putting the tiles back after the repair? Any help appreciated as I have never made a claim before or been in this situation. Have elderly parents. I think private companies will charge extortionate rates.
Thanks

Why do you think you have a leak? Have you seen direct evidence of the escaping water? It is quite normal for floors to feel warm in places where heating pipes pass under them.

If your radiators aren't working, it is very unlikely to be because of a leak in the domestic hot water supply to your basin tap.

"I think private companies will charge extortionate rates." Use a well-established independent local company, preferably recommended by a friend, and ask for an estimate before engaging them.

Whether any of the work will be covered by your insurance is something you'll need to check your policy to find out. The company will have a helpline if you need clarification.

Can you be more specific about your "radiators aren't working" problem. E.g. is it all of them or just some of them?

Keep in mind, in the event that you're not happy or experienced with plumbing Fixes, it's ideal to look for proficient assistance to try not to bring about additional harm. Water breaks can squander a lot of water and lead to expensive harm, so tending to them instantly is vital.

Attachments

• Ventura county plumbing.png
    Ventura county plumbing.png
    447 KB · Views: 5
Why do you think you have a leak? Have you seen direct evidence of the escaping water? It is quite normal for floors to feel warm in places where heating pipes pass under them.

If your radiators aren't working, it is very unlikely to be because of a leak in the domestic hot water supply to your basin tap.

"I think private companies will charge extortionate rates." Use a well-established independent local company, preferably recommended by a friend, and ask for an estimate before engaging them.

Whether any of the work will be covered by your insurance is something you'll need to check your policy to find out. The company will have a helpline if you need clarification.

Can you be more specific about your "radiators aren't working" problem. E.g. is it all of them or just some of them?

No can't see any escaping water. The tiles are constantly warm, plus when you open the tap water starts to run hot right away, usually takes a few seconds for it to warm up. Also the boiler constantly after few mins show the tap sign and puts the flame on even when no tap is running. I put my head next to the pipes leading to the tap & can hear like water running also very faintly.
The radiators come on just don't heat up fulling just stay luke warm and the flame only stays on minimal, is that because the diverter in the boiler redirecting to tap? or could it be the termostat?
Home insurance companies like DL offer trace & access service on underground leaks, they must be good and reliable ?

thanks

As to insurance you need to phone up yours or at least go through your policy details to see what you have covered and what the excess is - we can’t really comment as there is such a variety.
(Last Sunday I attended a burst pipe within a wall: had to remove tiles, fix pipe and then re-tile ; the customer checked their insurance policy and found they had a £600 excess so it wasn’t worth claiming)
A decent plumber will be able to establish if there is a leak on the hot pipework. Options are then
1) remove ceiling below to access pipes(if it’s upstairs)
2) take up tiles/floor to access pipes
3) cut off the leaking pipe and leave it in situ; then run a new pipe in its place. This method does not require lifting the tiles - although if it’s been leaking a long time there may be damage that needs repairing , browned if wooden or concrete floors etc etc
Lots of options depending on exact situation.
You need someone to come around and assess it, can I suggest you don’t approach them with the attitude that you’ll get ripped off - most of us pick up on this and then decline the work.

As to insurance you need to phone up yours or at least go through your policy details to see what you have covered and what the excess is - we can’t really comment as there is such a variety.
(Last Sunday I attended a burst pipe within a wall: had to remove tiles, fix pipe and then re-tile ; the customer checked their insurance policy and found they had a £600 excess so it wasn’t worth claiming)
A decent plumber will be able to establish if there is a leak on the hot pipework. Options are then
1) remove ceiling below to access pipes(if it’s upstairs)
2) take up tiles/floor to access pipes
3) cut off the leaking pipe and leave it in situ; then run a new pipe in its place. This method does not require lifting the tiles - although if it’s been leaking a long time there may be damage that needs repairing , browned if wooden or concrete floors etc etc
Lots of options depending on exact situation.
You need someone to come around and assess it, can I suggest you don’t approach them with the attitude that you’ll get ripped off - most of us pick up on this and then decline the work.
Thanks, it's underground. So tiles will have to come up etc. I think best option to get hse insurance to come and access what is required. Access is £250.
I wouldn't know who to call if was doing it independently. Any recommendations in West Midlands area? What i can expect to pay? I won't obviously have an attitude of im being ripped off to the plumber.
So stressful honest.

No can't see any escaping water. The tiles are constantly warm, plus when you open the tap water starts to run hot right away, usually takes a few seconds for it to warm up. Also the boiler constantly after few mins show the tap sign and puts the flame on even when no tap is running. I put my head next to the pipes leading to the tap & can hear like water running also very faintly.
You may have a hidden DHW (domestic hot water leak) but you haven't ruled out all the other possibilities in my mind quite yet.

What type of boiler do you have? (Give make and model if you are not sure.)

Do you have a hot water cylinder or does the boiler 'instant heat' the water, i.e. it's a 'combi'?

When you are not using hot water and the boiler is cycling the 'tap symbol' on and off, how long does it come on for and how long does it stay off for during each cycle?

If you set the boiler to provide central heating but not hot water, (CH 'on', DHW 'off') do the warm tiles cool down? (May take an hour or two.)

Last edited:
You may have a hidden DHW (domestic hot water leak) but you haven't ruled out all the other possibilities in my mind quite yet.

What type of boiler do you have? (Give make and model if you are not sure.)

Do you have a hot water cylinder or does the boiler 'instant heat' the water, i.e. it's a 'combi'?

When you are not using hot water and the boiler is cycling the 'tap symbol' on and off, how long does it come on for and how long does it stay off for during each cycle?

If you set the boiler to provide central heating but not hot water, (CH 'on', DHW 'off') do the warm tiles cool down? (May take an hour or two.)
The boiler is a Vaillant ecotec plus 835.
The tap symbol will come for a few mins & sometimes longer, then it also stays off for a while but haven't timed how long.
how do I set it to CH only? do I just turn down the temp on the how water?
thanks

Thanks, it's underground. So tiles will have to come up etc. ..
This doesn’t necessarily follow, as per my previous post, a new pipe run can be fitted above ground and the old leaking pipes just left underground but cut off so no water is in them.
Best thing is leave it to insurance company to deal with though- good luck.

Thank you. I am getting
This doesn’t necessarily follow, as per my previous post, a new pipe run can be fitted above ground and the old leaking pipes just left underground but cut off so no water is in them.
Best thing is leave it to insurance company to deal with though- good luck.
Thanks yes. Leaving the old pipes underground and repiping from the boiler will be best option. I just need to get hse insurance now. Not anyone clued up on house insurances in here is there? I think mostly all engineers and plumbers.
Thanks

Just another couple of question's if you guys can help.
Will the leak on an underground pipe cause the radiators not to kick in? I try putting them on but the boiler shows the radiator symbol but doesnt fire up.
Also wil the underground leak not cause the pressure to drop?
Thanks

Just another couple of question's if you guys can help.
Will the leak on an underground pipe cause the radiators not to kick in? I try putting them on but the boiler shows the radiator symbol but doesnt fire up.
Also wil the underground leak not cause the pressure to drop?
Thanks
Anyone help with above questions?

Reply to Underground water leak in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock