Search the forum,

Discuss Underground heating pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaflo-Experts

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can anyone recommend some pre-insulated pipe (or similar) to supply heating to an outbuilding about 20m away from the main house. The pipe will be buried in a underground trench, and therefore needs to be well insulated to avoid heating the ground!
I know Polypipe have a product with twin pipes within a larger pipe, which looks good, but is expensive at around £50/m.

Alternatively, is there a way to insulate and run standard Speedfit (or equivalent) to the outbuilding.

Ecoflex
Flex Allen
Rehau
They all make what you want but all expensive £40-£50 per metre

Have you had a look at Calpex pipe. If you literally want to put a dual pipe down all in one, it's the one to go for. It's expensive but very well made, insulated etc. it doesn't need a duct and can be put straight in a trench.
have used it many times in commercial settings. You just order d length you want and it's delivered on a coiled up.

DSCF6396.jpg4.jpg33.jpgas has been said, we use Rehau for all our underground pipework. There are two types, Ravitherm which is the same as Calpex (the inner carrier pipe is made by Rehau) will do the job but for better efficiency and far superior heatloss loss we use Rauthermex. It is more expensive and tbh for 20m i wouldnt waste the money on the extra cost. Also you will have to include the cost of tool hire as you have to use specific crimping tools.

Attachments

• 20131101_122853.jpg
    20131101_122853.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks for all your helpful replies, an the photos missplumb.
I've read up on most of the products mentioned, and Uponor and Calpex sound good. I like Uponor as it doesnt require special tools or couplers.
I guess £50/m is the typical price, so the customer may be in for a shock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underground heating pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Greetings, esteemed community members, I find myself in possession of a remote and highly inaccessible plot of land, devoid of any utilities. On this land, there exists a well housing a 10-year-old pump that has never been utilized. I intend to conduct a thorough test using a portable...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not many have a sub to Telegraph (neither do I) but this is the article in full. As for the statement by BG, I haven't corroborated it but it seems an odd...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I hope you can help, I don't know any plumbers and just wondered about an idea of mine, it might not be do able for good reason! I built a 6 x 3m outbuilding a few months ago for myself in the garden, me and wife wanted an office to work in when needed, mainly her (labourer). This...
Replies
Views
Current system Danesmoor utility installed in outbuilding. Flow/return connections on the boiler are each 1.5" BSP then straight into 32mm copper for a run underground of approx. 20m to the house. Main pump at boiler is UPS 25-55. Proposal is to replace old boiler with Hounsfield Tuscan 26/30...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a challenging and interesting problem, which I'll try as best to describe below keeping to the point and as short as possible, to avoid boring any of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock