Discuss Underfloor heating plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybo_1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Just received drawings for a job where I am installing UFH pipework next week. They show the pipework going in a spiral to the centre and then back out. I've always been an up and down in lengths man if that makes sense!!

This is from a new supplier so I'm wondering if it's just how they do it and I'll still be OK to go my way. What's the pros and cons of either?

If you want say 200mm centres, go around the perimeter first. Then when you meet the loop , space the next one at 400mm. Continue into the centre, then come back out throgh the gap you left.

If you want say 200mm centres, go around the perimeter first. Then when you meet the loop , space the next one at 400mm. Continue into the centre, then come back out throgh the gap you left.

And hope you got enough pipe legth to get back to manifold! Coil never looks long enough.

I always use serpentines when the ufh Is going in a screed. It's normally preferred by manufacturers. Spreads the heat more efficiently.

And hope you got enough pipe legth to get back to manifold! Coil never looks long enough.

If the system is professionally designed, there isn't a problem with length. I buy the pipe in 500m coils to save on waste.

Also ufh pattern is designed around sources of heat losses, for example the perimeter will be designed to receive the hottest temps or a serpentine pattern working away from a large french door etc

Best practice for UFH is to NEVER EVER use the up and down route, you'll end up with hot spots and a heat gradient across the room. The ONLY time we have to do that is when retrofitting aluminium plates under an existing floor, and then we aim to run the flow round the outside walls first with the return being at the 'inner end' of the house, even so, we'll then aim to more, shorter loops in.

Spirals give an even heat distribution as you get the coldest (return) next to the hottest (flow) so you end up with a really even temperature distribution across the floor.

A good designer should also have given you the heat loss, flow requirements, approximate pipe lengths, and pipe spacing for each loop. If you have a large picture window / patio / bi-fold doors, they should also have closed up the pipe spacing there as that wil be one of the big heat loss areas.

The pipe we use has it's length marked on it, (counting down) so you always know how much is left before you start running the loop, and seeing as from above you know how much you need it's never a problem of running out. By then planning the installation order (sometimes working from both ends of the manifold) - typically we will have 10-12% 'wastage' off a 500m coil.

Just received drawings for a job where I am installing UFH pipework next week. They show the pipework going in a spiral to the centre and then back out. I've always been an up and down in lengths man if that makes sense!!

This is from a new supplier so I'm wondering if it's just how they do it and I'll still be OK to go my way. What's the pros and cons of either?

If they have drawn it that way follow what they want, spend time marking the floor out and it will be a breeze to fit.
Plus side it also looks pretty:hurray:

Nice one. Thanks for all your advice. Looking forward to start laying it tomorrow

273c9ae5992d21a49aa4607f6508aa30.jpg

Funny most spec it this way over here

This system ensures that uniform circuit patterns are easily achieved and simplifies the installation process in larger areas. The underfloor heating circuits can be laid in the double meander pattern, which gives an even spread of heat by alternating the flow and return pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny most spec it this way over here
This system ensures that uniform circuit patterns are easily achieved and simplifies the installation process in larger areas. The underfloor heating circuits can be laid in the double meander pattern, which gives an even spread of heat by alternating the flow and return pipes.

That is a lot better than the single meander, though I would still say that the spiral / snail shell is even better as the coolest spots where flow swaps to return is in the centre.
1-IMG_0614.jpg

I find that way is a lot slower and harder to judge length of pipe

Why is the length any different? Spacing is the same :) So length is the same ....

(Run it through a spreadsheet it you want, it'll be the same :) )

I find it harder to judge IMHO
And think the double meander is quicker and neater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So yes, Richter level 7 earthquake at least. I need to plan an underfloor heating for a 4x4 expedition/overlanding off-road vehicle, and...
Replies
Views
Hello all and hope everyone is well, New to the forum and would be very grateful for any expert help. I live in a small flat that has...
Replies
Views
Back