Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating Options. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Been to look at a job this afternoon. Workshop being converted into a house.

Current floor is 3" concrete on top of 3" of kingspan.

Customers looking for best options.

I was thinking of an overlay system to directly on top of concrete floor.

Opinions?

I would think the same if they can take the height rise

The only concern for me is the insulation.

They have allowed for 3 to 4" floor height increase.

What are they looking at for floor covering ?

Engineered oak flooring throughout the ground floor and tiles in the bathroom.

Engineered oak flooring throughout the ground floor and tiles in the bathroom.

Overlay then

You could marmox insulation board it first with 20mm depending on how thick your panels are

For extra insulation

But don’t forget due to wooden oak floor you will loose quite a bit of heat I believe it was about 23-26watts on a meter square. I was wrong before so don’t judge if I am a little wrong.

Been to look at a job this afternoon. Workshop being converted into a house.

Current floor is 3" concrete on top of 3" of kingspan.

Customers looking for best options.

I was thinking of an overlay system to directly on top of concrete floor.

Opinions?
Perhaps gypsum boards with ready grooved runs for the pipe. On top of it you could use self levelling compound and then oak wood on top. Uheat is very good with the low profile ufh

Why o why use engineered oak on top of underfloor heating its got to be the worst conductor of heat there is, theres a maximum floor tempreture you can heat the stuff to aswell , may look good to start with but gaps will soon open up and the planks will swell and will become uneven , a far better option would be a overlay system with a cement based board on top with either a tiled finish or a Karndean type floor finish these look really good when done professionally hard to tell the difference from a wooden floor . cheers kop

Why o why use engineered oak on top of underfloor heating its got to be the worst conductor of heat there is, theres a maximum floor tempreture you can heat the stuff to aswell , may look good to start with but gaps will soon open up and the planks will swell and will become uneven , a far better option would be a overlay system with a cement based board on top with either a tiled finish or a Karndean type floor finish these look really good when done professionally hard to tell the difference from a wooden floor . cheers kop

You can lead a horse to water.......

Customer is always right :D and aslong as they don't get you to lay the top floor, it's down to the floor layers to tell them finally

Got to dissagree with you there Shaun i have actually done this fitting 20mm underfloor heating under a junker wooden floor nightmare bud and most definately would not do it again luckily for me a heating consultant did the design and it was fitted as manufacturers instructions, client was the guy whos company fits the cameras to Formula 1 racing cars so had the last say but it did cause alot of bad feeling when it all went pear shape and we all took a financial hit on the job, so why take put yourself in that position ? Simon put it in writing that you do not recommend they do this cover your back mate thats all i am saying. Best of luck with it kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor Heating Options. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock