Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating broken in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Underfloor heating installed in 2019 - no probs at all. Suddenly stopped working yesterday.

Thermostat is starting the pump, and lights come on. Pipe is very hot at point 1 - and cold at point 2

I have also noticed a leak at point 3

My theory is the motorised valve has broken - and the pump may have caused too much pressure at point 3 - causing a drip. It is leaking onto a chipboard wood board - this is damp but not soaked - suggesting it's all a bit recent.

I have turned off the UFH at the stat - but i can see the red butterly tap (3) still weeping - seemingly from the spindle itself

GCH and Hot water work fine. I can see motorised valved for GCH move slightly when activated - so i was expecting to see same for UFH valve - which leads me to suspect the valve for the floor.

I can manually open the "underfloor" motorised valve, and everything gets hot again (3 still drips a little) - based on this i am very suspicious of the motorised valve being broken. I believe that it is possible to just replace the motorised portion of the valve and stay dry. With the electricity isolated i may even avoid killing myself.

Also - the valve (3 on photo) is weeping at the spindle itself - and this is on the return side of the manifold

Does replacing this mean draining the system - i just don't know enough to be confident to give it a go ?

I have calls out to a couple of plumbers but no joy as yet in getting a response - i am just trying to understand the issue at this stage. I would contemplate changing the motorised valve, but the tap shown in (3) fills me with fear - and i don't want it also filling my house with water :)

Any thoughts welcome

I have purchased slippers in the meantime

Cheers in advance

Si

Any thoughts theories / engineers very welcome :)
ufh1.JPG

Attachments

• ufh1.JPG
    ufh1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 7
You can probably get underfloor heating, with the gch. It’s likely that the zone valve has failed, which you’d be correct. The valve head (actuator) needs to be removed, for it to work with gch though.

The butterfly valve, would likely need a partial drain down to replace, or someone with a freeze kit.

Butterfly valve is probably just a gland remove the red handle you might find a nut that you can pinch up

Reply to Underfloor Heating broken in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'm considering having my heating system controlled by Honeywell Evohome. I have a question about the underfloor heating controller...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I have a gas boiler in my apartment that heats a net area of 300 m2 with an underfloor heating system. The boiler has a capacity of 45 kW...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock