Search the forum,

Discuss Under Floor Heating - one of the valves sticking? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I'm not sure what these things in the picture are called, but water flows to each room when the "float" moves down, but one is stuck.

Last year a heating engineer came and unstuck the valve by tapping on it with his screwdriver head.

I've tried that, but no luck - three of the floats move down but one doesn't. I've tried screwing them to different heights, but no effect.

He said that they can easily be replaced - but I have no idea how - or even what they are called.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• 20201207_163938.jpg
    20201207_163938.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 17
They’re flow meters and do not regulate the flow through the zone, only measure it.

2 potentials here. If it is indeed stuck, once the system has been balanced, it really serves no purpose. So ignore it.

If it’s not moving because it’s working and is showing no flow through the zone, this lack of flow needs to be resolved.

Each FM is paired with an actuator (typically directly below/above it on the other section of manifold).

Feel the flow/return pipe for this particular zone (so below the FM and below the corresponding actuator head).
Is it hot?
If yes, it’s getting flow, so the actuator is working and the FM is jammed and I’d ignore it.
If no, then the actuator is broken or the pin is jammed closed.
When the stat connected to this zone calls for heat, does the actuator head respond (blue indicator rises) the same as the others?
If yes, then it’s the pin.
If no, then you need a new head and there is still the possibility of a stuck pin.

Then remove the head, check the pin underneath for movement. Can you press it down and does it pop back up when released?
If yes, pin working ok.
If no, it’s stuck. Try and free it up pulling pulling it up with pliers. Once up, push/pull the pin up and down to free it up.
It should now start to work normally (can seize over summer due to no use).
If it still gets stuck, need a new valve body.

They’re flow meters and do not regulate the flow through the zone, only measure it.

2 potentials here. If it is indeed stuck, once the system has been balanced, it really serves no purpose. So ignore it.

If it’s not moving because it’s working and is showing no flow through the zone, this lack of flow needs to be resolved.

Each FM is paired with an actuator (typically directly below/above it on the other section of manifold).

Feel the flow/return pipe for this particular zone (so below the FM and below the corresponding actuator head).
Is it hot?
If yes, it’s getting flow, so the actuator is working and the FM is jammed and I’d ignore it.
If no, then the actuator is broken or the pin is jammed closed.
When the stat connected to this zone calls for heat, does the actuator head respond (blue indicator rises) the same as the others?
If yes, then it’s the pin.
If no, then you need a new head and there is still the possibility of a stuck pin.

Then remove the head, check the pin underneath for movement. Can you press it down and does it pop back up when released?
If yes, pin working ok.
If no, it’s stuck. Try and free it up pulling pulling it up with pliers. Once up, push/pull the pin up and down to free it up.
It should now start to work normally (can seize over summer due to no use).
If it still gets stuck, need a new valve body.

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response.

From your description I'm pretty sure the pin is stuck, but I'm not sure how to remove the head.

In the picture below I've lifted the red collar to reveal a nut - should I unscrew this nut to get access to the pin (it seems quite tightly screwed ...)

Attachments

• 20201209_085742.jpg
    20201209_085742.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 14
No.
The red nut is on the flow meter, leave this alone.
The pin you are interested in is on the corresponding valve below the actuator head, on the other rail of the manifold - directly below the dodgy flow meter.

Hopefully, last question.

Here's a picture of the whole thing - so I unscrew the (white) actuator head to gain access to the pin?

Attachments

• 20201209_095745.jpg
    20201209_095745.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
Hopefully, last question.

Here's a picture of the whole thing - so I unscrew the (white) actuator head to gain access to the pin?
Yes, either unscrew or push a little button to pop the head off, underneath will be a pin.

I changed my valves the other day due to sticking/leaking.

Here’s a couple of pics to help.

5F819D86-A89F-42FF-9753-0EDAA9DE0650.jpeg
83A9891C-5611-4086-8000-59B9454B042D.jpeg

Reply to Under Floor Heating - one of the valves sticking? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock