Search the forum,

Discuss turned off by ESP,but no faults found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

got called out to a 26 year old Worcester heatslave highflow 3.5 BF today,customer thought they could smell gas or fumes so called esp,esp could not find anything other than his meter went off near the strengthening pillar on the side of the combustion box,held in with two screws,so he made safe,i called there today carried out a tightness which it passed,a room co putting my fga probe all around the boiler ,combustion box and flue after 40 mins my fga got bored and send end test its passed,i applied ldf to all parts not coverd by the tightness gasvalve/pilot,intake into the burner etc,the flue is correctly sealed,it passed a fga ,burner pressures are fine,theres no corrosion to the combustion box. as far as i can practically tell the flue has not corroded through the cavity,i tightened the loose screw and having found nothing else wrong i left it working,it was serviced by SSE 5 months ago,they found no faults either other than saying the springs were shot in the 3 way valve meaning the boiler would need replacing because its obsolete that problem was quickly fixed with a new syncron,but very unusual situation,esp has isolated but i cant find anything at all wrong

Around where I come from esp shut off 9/10 properties even when nothing is wrong. They have so long at a job so just to be safe they shut off.

I had the same 18 months ago. Customer got up in morning and strong smell of gas, esp capped off. I came did almost everything u have done, absolutely nothing. Left it on, 18 months later still nothing! I wondered if maybe one of the kids had been messing with cooker. Only reasonable explanation I could come up with! U did everything most engineers would of done and more so good job, just hope the guy ain't dead tomorrow morning!

That's all they do now, make safe. Very rare to find an esp engineer that will actually look for and repair the problem. They used to do it, but I think they were getting a lot of people ring up for a joke, so they teach them a lesson!

As mentioned all the ESP will do is turn off/make safe the appliance.
Last 2 jobs I had on the back of them were fires. One was quite sooty and had not been serviced/checked since installed. Full strip out. Routine smokes. Fit COD. All ok.
The other i could not find any issue. Again check, smokes, COD. Done.

You have checked in full and all appears in order. All you can do!
Customers get slight whiff of something the automaticly tie in to gas appliance. More often than not there is no issue. The usual is custard getting whiff of flue gasses or have pinned down smell of fumes to smelly sink waste before.

ESPs are caught between a rock and a hard place. If punter rings and reports an issue then either something is found or it isnt.

If something is found,fine> apply procedures
If something isnt found well you have to bear in mind that ESPs are not allowed to carry out in depth investigations on appliances so will almost always by default issue some kind of notice.

What else can they do ? Punter has reported something. If they walk away and say ok and there is then an issue punter may complain which may initiate an investigation etc..

I've been to a few over the years by ESPs turning stuff off and labeling and after doing a full check I can find no reason for it. I actually put it down to their targets and commision in selling new units, it's wrong you should either be an engineer with the customers best interest at heart or you should be a salesman.

The best one I ever went to was a ID sticker on a balanced flue fire, apparently it failed it's smoke tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to turned off by ESP,but no faults found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am not sure whether anyone ever saw this issue.... My Worcester Bosch boiler was installed last year August, since then I found the boiler green light (burner light) will be off after HW is satisfied(supposed to be), but after 2 mins it will be back on again! For 2mins of firing, the...
Replies
Views
I don't work now due to being ancient. I looked at a 'Range cooker' fired on kero. It had a slow leak that turned into a bad leak in a month! It had a welded fabricated boiler. I've seen such heat exchangers leak within 7 years from new. No wonder the Potterton heating production manager said...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm having a hell of a time with my bath drain cover. I just wanted to take it off to get a better look at whether the P-Trap was dry. So I unscrewed it. And it won't come off, but neither will it screw back down! Now I just want to...
Replies
Views
new here and apologies for my first post being a question about my own system. Vaillant Thermocompact 620e danfoss fp715 programmer Danfoss hpa2 motorised control valves Danfoss mechanical in room thermostat The hot water works fine. The central heating comes on as programmed and then shuts...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock