Discuss turing of gravity hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do most people tend to trust the gate valve on the cold feed to a hot water cylinder will turn off and back on again, when wanting to work on the hot pipework, swapping a bath tap no isos. Or turn the cold mains off and drain all tank.

I won't trust a gate valve, half the time they don't shut fully anyway

I won't trust a gate valve, half the time they don't shut fully anyway

If they don't hold up then you aren't in way worst a situation anyway, still have to turn off main & drain cistern.

If it holds you have saved all that time & 230Litres of water which is why they are required to be fitted under the Water Regulations 1999.

Depends on the quality of the valve.
Pegglers, conex or lever valves ar fine. But the cheapo valves aren't worth fitting.

I'd use the gate, it is what it is there for, if it busts or jams it's extra.

If it is a quality valve it should be fine

I don't trust gatevalves on cold & hot supplies. On heating systems they tend to be more reliable as the heating system water doesn't corrode them normally.
I find that even just turning gatevalves off gently and not fully tight off will still often have the gate broken when I go to turn valve on again.
I tend to just bung the tank as it is the same thing as turning a valve off. Obviously I won't leave it like that if I had to leave pipework open, unless I am going to complete the job, - new taps, or tap works etc.

I'd use the gate, it is what it is there for, if it busts or jams it's extra.

I bet you won't trust using a gatevalve if you are in a rush home, or late for next job?
Could lose you at least half an hour to an hour trying to replace it on a cold tank - and that's if you carry same valve.
The jobs that I have been on that were only to be a couple of minutes to replace a tap washer and I ended up turning into Mr Angry with an awkward gatevalve to replace on a pipe with no movement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to turing of gravity hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock