Search the forum,

Discuss Trying to change washer on kitchen taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mosis

Hi, the hot tap on my kitchen mixer taps has started going funny - when you turn it, it takes half a second or so before the water starts coming out, (unlike the cold tap), so I think the washer is sticking or in need of replacement.
I removed the top of the tap but now I think I have to remove the cover that goes around the body of the tap.
I tried to attach a link to a picture, but the forum won't allow me.

It's at www.postimg.org/image/rx4pa3q1h/

I tried turning it anti-clockwise by hand, couldn't do it, then I covered it with a cloth and used a grip thing (sorry, I can't remember the name of the tool, it has slots in the head and can adjust to four different settings, so that it fits round nuts with a parallel grip) and tried to turn it anti-clockwise again, but no luck (as it's completely round, it was hard to get a grip without feeling like I was gripping too hard and might damage it and take all the chrome off).
Is this part supposed to come off? I presume it is, so that I can see the actual body of the tap mechanism and unscrew it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's a chrome trim and probably welded on with scale. Decent set of pump pliers would shift it.

A good squirt of plus gas or wd40 inside the shroud and left for a few
minutes would be a great help.

When using the grips be sure to hold around the top of the shroud and not
at the bottom where the thread can be compressed.

Should come off easily.

Thanks very much guys, especially about the bit about holding it at the top of the shroud, not the bottom, I will squirt WD40 inside and leave it for a few hours, then give it a go again.

There is also a leak at the base of the arm of the 'spout' (don't know what you call it, the bit where the water actually comes out), and there is a grub screw at the back to remove it - but unfortunately that means I have to undo the pipes under the sink to remove it, before I can find out what size of rubber washer thingy is around the base of the spout inside the body - are these a standard size, so that I could buy one before I take it all off? Otherwise I have to put it all back together after finding out what size to buy, get one, then take it all apart again to fit it.

and there is a grub screw at the back to remove it - but unfortunately that means I have to undo the pipes under the sink to remove it,

No need to remove taps, small flat blade screwdriver bit and a pair of pliers.

No need to remove taps, small flat blade screwdriver bit and a pair of pliers.

Aha - I didn't think of that. It's only got about two inches of clearance behind it, I will find a small screwdriver and cut the end off, thanks for the tip, that'll save me a few hours and much cursing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trying to change washer on kitchen taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock