Search the forum,

Discuss Trouble removing decorative shroud from monobloc tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there

I have a monobloc tap in my bathroom which is exactly like the one in this video:

For some reason I absolutely cannot get the decorative shroud (so easily unscrewed 37 seconds into the video) undone at all. It's recently started dripping, so need to get it off in order to fix.

Any advice / tips on how to get this off? Any tools I should be using? Brute force (ie: straining and trying to turn it!) is absolutely not working. I'm also worried about using the wrong tool and mangling the shroud itself (being a DIY amateur)...

All help appreciated!

Because of the shape and smoothness of the shroud it can be very difficult to get it off without marking it if it's been tightened up too much or has seized up.
You can try a piece of leather, like a bit of an old belt between it and your grips, but if it's proper stuck, you're likely to mark it.
I now always put some silicone grease on the threads of the shroud when working on or fitting this style of tap.

Once you have removed the lever & head, try pouring some white vinegar into the top and leaving it to soak for a while, and then try not to use force, as JCplumb said use leather or a rubber strap wrench. Good luck.

Thanks guys! I had actually tried to soak it all in vinegar overnight, but it only ended up stinking up the bathroom!

I'll keep trying with some force + leather and see where I get to. We live in a hard water area, so I'm worried that it has actually fused to the tap.

Any more help appreciated. :)

Thanks guys! I had actually tried to soak it all in vinegar overnight, but it only ended up stinking up the bathroom!

I'll keep trying with some force + leather and see where I get to. We live in a hard water area, so I'm worried that it has actually fused to the tap.

Any more help appreciated. :)

White vinegar , not the stuff you put on your chips lol

Just had a thought.
You could put the handle back on and look to see where on the shroud is always hidden by the handle.
You could then drill a hole there and use something as a tommy bar, you could even cut a couple of notches in the top of it to get some purchase. Won't affect the tap at all and will be hidden by the base of the handle.

Then take a leaf out of a cat's book and pretend you've given up, but quickly take it by surprise when it's not looking.

Haha, will deffo try the cat trick (and have bought a rubber strap wrench).

If all else fails will take JC's advice and get drilling .

Thanks for all your help!

Good stuff :)
Out of interest which strap wrench did you get? I've had one for a couple of years and it gets more damaged in my toolbag than when I'm using it, I think I got it at the merchants and it's unbranded, also have one of those things that help pensioners get jar lids off but it's pants. So might treat myself.

Reply to Trouble removing decorative shroud from monobloc tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock