Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet pans 6l or 9l or not relevant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

articoceanic

Hello

I have a 9litre toilet cistern and need to replace the pan. Can i just buy any pan or do pans come with sizes of cisterns water levels, so it doesn't overflow or something similar.

Do i need to look for a 9l toilet pan or are all the pans compatible?

thanks

p. s. if i need to look for a 9l toilet pan, could someone recommend me one. Shops don't seem to list them by soze.

You're better off buying a whole new toilet. Unless you know the specific make and model you're gonna struggle to get one to match and fit

^ As above from Riley, not all cisterns sit the same on the pan and the fixing holes can vary in postions and sizes.

Are the pan and cistern close coupled? (ie the cistern sits on a shelf moulded into the back of the pan)

Or is it low level? (cistern is separated from the pan by a short flush-pipe)

Or is it high level? (cistern is mounted high on the wall, and connected by a long flush pipe).

If its close coupled, as the advice from the lads above, replace pan and cistern together.

If its either high or low level, just go into any plumbers merchant and ask for a HO pan. They are all more or less the same, and will be fine with your 9 litre flush.

HO pan? Never that one before Ray. ( must be a southern thing :D)

Call them washdown pans, up here in the frozen north.

You should also be able to adjust the water level in the existing cistern to flush 6 litres if flushing 9 litres through the pan causes any major issues.

I don't think this will be necessary - unless for water saving practices

HO pan? Never that one before Ray. ( must be a southern thing :D)

Call them washdown pans, up here in the frozen north.

Funny how terminology changes over geography. HO = Horizontal outlet, to differentiate it from P trap or S trap pans.

Strictly speaking, all close coupled pans are also HO, although (at least down here) HO is used to refer exclusively to HO pans which are not close coupled, like a Armitage Magnia or Twyford Classic.

For me, "washdown" is just descriptive of a pan which relies on all the flush coming down from the rim. The alternative to "washdown" would be "syphonic".

But as you say - trade terms vary depending on where in the country you are.

Funny how terminology changes over geography. HO = Horizontal outlet, to differentiate it from P trap or S trap pans.

Strictly speaking, all close coupled pans are also HO, although (at least down here) HO is used to refer exclusively to HO pans which are not close coupled, like a Armitage Magnia or Twyford Classic.

For me, "washdown" is just descriptive of a pan which relies on all the flush coming down from the rim. The alternative to "washdown" would be "syphonic".

But as you say - trade terms vary depending on where in the country you are.

We say sand and gravel. You say ballast!
Let's call the whole thing off!

Well according to google, a Dudley Tri-shell isn't close coupled, so the 9l cistern should do. You can adjust the fill height if the flush doesn't perform as expected.

+1 its not close coupled so you can just replace the pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet pans 6l or 9l or not relevant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock