Discuss Toilet leaking and refilling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

As per my username, I am a complete rookie! Our downstairs toilet seems to refil itself more or less every 5 or so minutes, sometimes less, and it’s driving me crazy!

I’ve put tissue to the back of the basin and indeed water is seeping out nonstop.

I have taken our the flush valve (I think it’s that?) and cleaned the bottom which has a lot of grime on it! Reattached and still happening!

The toilet is about 2 years old (new build). I’ve attached pictures if that helps? Any advice is welcome. The item circled is what I took out, the arrow is what was covered in grime! The unit is stuck to the wall so I’m hoping it doesn’t have to come off?

Thanks

90D55B0D-78B7-4B45-BFD7-518F96C70E8D.jpeg

Hi all,

As per my username, I am a complete rookie! Our downstairs toilet seems to refil itself more or less every 5 or so minutes, sometimes less, and it’s driving me crazy!

I’ve put tissue to the back of the basin and indeed water is seeping out nonstop.

I have taken our the flush valve (I think it’s that?) and cleaned the bottom which has a lot of grime on it! Reattached and still happening!

The toilet is about 2 years old (new build). I’ve attached pictures if that helps? Any advice is welcome. The item circled is what I took out, the arrow is what was covered in grime! The unit is stuck to the wall so I’m hoping it doesn’t have to come off?

Thanks

Hello absolute rookie,

Some things to consider:
Do you know how to isolate it? Should have a valve on it.
Second just double check the seating of where it sits for any debris.
You can obtain replacement rubber seals for those push button syphons and it could also be leaking from in between where it sits through the cistern - in which case the cistern would need to be removed.

Edit/update: the washer could be in tact and as I said could be from the push button syphon/flush valve where it meets the underside of cistern.

Thanks,
Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get a new flush valve washer. Comes with the white plastic clip that holds it in place on the flush valve. Change them regularly and always keep a few on the van.

Ignore valve on left, 9 times out of 10 rubber seal and seat has debris or needs replacing. Most are 1/8th turn to left to disconect and remove after isolating water incoming.
Isolate incoming water and look for securing lugs, remove and inspect seat face`s.

Reply to Toilet leaking and refilling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to...
Replies
Views
Good morning. I’m not a plumber but a homeowner trying to figure out an issue with an old steam unit. Basically, we bought an old house a little...
Replies
Views
I’d be grateful for some guidance on the best way to fix a leak from my toilet. The leak doesn’t come from the toilet so presuming it’s the seal...
Replies
Views
I had a water leak in the toilet overnight, broken washer in the fixing, had a plumber come and fix it, but it was leaking probably a good 10...
Replies
Views
Hi All, On Thursday there was a water leake a few steets away from us And we had no water most of the day. About 10 minutes before my neigbour...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock