Search the forum,

Discuss To pump or not to pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all long time no speak

I need a bit of advice, customer had a shower pump fitted really badly under bath.

This has expectedly packed up and needs replacing. I was asked to quote but I’ve come across a situation I’m not too familiar with.

The property is a flat and bathroom hot water is fed via a cylinder fed by a cwsc maybe a meter above.
The cold water is fed from a massive communal tank some 10 floors up. So as I’m sure you’ll appreciate the flow and pressure of the cold is significantly higher than the hot.

How would you tackle this in terms of a pump?
As it stands I’m not sure that a pump will regulate the difference between hot and cold correctly, am I wrong??
Should I just pump the hot?? And try and roughly balance the two flows?

Bit of advice very welcome

direct cylinder? or heating in the place?

as for pump difference it too great your looking at a bar on the cold tank

whats the water main like into the property? (flow and pressure)

Direct cylinder. The cold I would roughly guess that it’s maybe 2 bar, mains is approx 1.2bar at 14 lpm. If you’re thinking unvented then there’s too much hidden pipework

Direct cylinder. The cold I would roughly guess that it’s maybe 2 bar, mains is approx 1.2bar at 14 lpm. If you’re thinking unvented then there’s too much hidden pipework

TBH was thinking of a thermal store and use the cold tank to feed the hot water giving you a balanced system

How big l wise is the tank above the cylinder?

Any chance you could have a new cwt in the flat solely for the cold to the shower pump? Or possibly it for the hot also, therefore doing away with the current cwt that feeds the hot cylinder?

I was assuming your cwt that feeds the hot cylinder, is a small cwt?

Typically with a flat there is no room for anything else. The existing cwsc cylinder set up seems to provide ample hot water according to tenant

Typically with a flat there is no room for anything else. The existing cwsc cylinder set up seems to provide ample hot water according to tenant

Probably only needs a 25 gallon cwt for to supply solely the hot cylinder.
Pity you couldn't have space for a 50 gallon, or larger cwt.

Yeah I’d say 25 gallon tops. So where do I go:
Can’t install new cwsc
Can’t fit unvented
Would you just pump the hot in the flat and cold water coming down from the large tank at the top of the block or would you just pump the hot

If it's a constant 1.5-2 bar then just fit a pump on the hot to match

That’s what I’m thinking. Wasn’t sure if other users would impact it. Or am I over thinking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to To pump or not to pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock