Discuss To power flush or not... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anthonyb6000

Hi Forum,

I had a quick question about a house I've recently moved into. It's around 15 years old and I've noticed that the radiators in the house are full of cold spots, rust and even a couple of pin hole leaks (i.e. probably not looked after very well). I'm going to systematically replace all the radiators over the next 3-4 months (or rather a plummer probably will) with decent new ones. More than likely due to cost I'll do 3 a month starting this month.

My intial reaction was to get the system power flushed and then add inhibitor to the system. Question is if I'm replacing all the rads in the next 3 months anyway (and having inhibitor added) is a power flush necessary?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

I would wait until rads are replaced and give the system a good flushing out and dose with inhibitor then

What boiler have you got?

Thanks for the prompt reply! I've just realised my post should have been placed into the central heating forum - feel free to move if this is possible! I'm not at home at present however I'm almost certain it's a Potterton Suprema

Wait until you can replace all rads in one go. Not only should you get better price but muck in old rads won't be transferred around system into new rads. Once new rads installed put chemical cleaner in system for one week then drain down flush with mains pressure water, add inhibiter and all should be good.

Personally I'd get it powerflushed once the rads are in. Why wouldn't you open up all those old pipes when you have new rads?

If you have an incorrect pipework configuration causing air entrainment (causing corrosion in the system) then when you change the radiators and have a powerflush you will still be creating corrosion if this is the case.

Probably better to get someone (qualified) to take a look at the system and give you prices for each so you can make a decision based on this.

It would be a shame to fit new radiators, powerflush the system and still entrain air and continue causing corrosion to eat the new radiators.

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to To power flush or not... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock