Discuss Time on Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

You could try them on price work or a bonus to complete on time, money talks most of the time but it can bring its own problems.
My last boss tried a bonus with me on one job. I told him a week to run a high level 28mm water main through 4 industrial units with drops down in each unit and fully lagged. He told me do it in 3 days and ill give you bonus, I did it in 3 1/2 days and got nothing. I was furious :(

My last boss tried a bonus with me on one job. I told him a week to run a high level 28mm water main through 4 industrial units with drops down in each unit and fully lagged. He told me do it in 3 days and ill give you bonus, I did it in 3 1/2 days and got nothing. I was furious :(
That has always been the trouble unless very carefully managed they are divisive but he is pricing the jobs using a number of days / hours then could be an option to say "I will give you X" if you finish it early, say splitting the difference so it is win / win.

Last edited:
You could try them on price work or a bonus to complete on time, money talks most of the time but it can bring its own problems.
Any bonus scheme needs to be carefully designed to make sure that it doesn't have unintended consequences, likely encouraging corner-cutting or burying problems.

One problem I've seen is that, in the early days per-job bonuses will be seen as nice extras and the vibe will be positive. After a while, they become the norm and when a job doesn't merit a bonus it's seen as punishment.

In your position, I'd be inclined to consider something based on customer satisfaction, e.g. the fraction of customers who were happy or very happy with the work done. You can include 'The work was completed on schedule' as one of the elements of CS you measure.

Discuss any ideas with your accountant to make sure they are tax-efficient and legal.

Any bonus scheme needs to be carefully designed to make sure that it doesn't have unintended consequences, likely encouraging corner-cutting or burying problems.

One problem I've seen is that, in the early days per-job bonuses will be seen as nice extras and the vibe will be positive. After a while, they become the norm and when a job doesn't merit a bonus it's seen as punishment.

In your position, I'd be inclined to consider something based on customer satisfaction, e.g. the fraction of customers who were happy or very happy with the work done. You can include 'The work was completed on schedule' as one of the elements of CS you measure.

Discuss any ideas with your accountant to make sure they are tax-efficient and legal.
Absolutely agree Chuck, it was just a suggestion. Personally I have never been a fan of bonus (or for that matter price work) having been the apprentice who had to clear up the poor work it created & watched younger apprentices just being used a labours.
IMHO it's always about good management against a good days work for a good days pay.

Shaun I am just going on what I have been given in the past by pretty much every company I've worked for. I didnt think I was fast and when I went for my last job o said to the boss I'm not the quickest but turned out I was the quickest by a long way.

I've always done copper very rarely used plastic as I dont think fitting plastic in an existing home is much quicker fitted properly.

Island you are paying british gas prices what do british gas expect from there employees. As kop has said you cant work them flat out all the time but if they are getting paid well I would expect them to work hard 90% of the time.

Personally I would pay bonuses for jobs completed on time and with no call backs. If you put people on price they chuck things in to get to the next job.

Gasmk1 3 hours to fill a system? Wheres that Buckingham palace? :D the last time I had a system take over an hour to fill was about 5 years ago in the end I repiped the cold feed and vent then it filled within 20 minutes.
3 hours is if its open vent and it air locks most systems are full within the hour i have had systems that have taken this long and longer if problems. longest drain down was 1 1/2 days admitted it was the diocese of salford offices and chapel, yes you vent filled it or backfilled because you know what you are doing and dont want to string things out, not everybody is like that

Bonuses??
Are you offering employees more money for the privilege of working for you.
Are you trying to entice them to work for you?

Soon this will be the 'norm' and more will be expected before long.

If jobs are taking longer than you would expect, just start asking questions as to why.
There could be good reasons - which may be chargeable to the customer.
There may be fair reasons - which you may have not allowed for in pricing.
There may be bad reasons - employees taking the pi$$.

If a small job has taken a lot longer than you expected, bring the person in and ask why?
Learn from there

Start allowing 25% more labour to the jobs you are quoting on.

If things go good for 6 months or more, offer them a bonus mid year and a bonus at Christmas time. Or just at Christmas time

Price works - I know a plumber who implemented this, guess what he's paying for now - rectifications and repairs.
One of his employees, who worked for him for 6 years, has caused most grief and now has been removed from his company.

Not saying all employees are bad, but all employees need to be accountable for a business to be of any success.

3 hours is if its open vent and it air locks most systems are full within the hour i have had systems that have taken this long and longer if problems. longest drain down was 1 1/2 days admitted it was the diocese of salford offices and chapel, yes you vent filled it or backfilled because you know what you are doing and dont want to string things out, not everybody is like that

I'm sure every one has had systems that have had systems that have been a nightmare to fill. But if I priced 3 hours to fill every open vented system I would spend a lot of time sat around.

I've never vent filled and the only time I've ever back filled a system was about 15 years ago on a friday afternoon to get them through the weekend so we could go back the following week and unblock the cold feed.

But let's be honest if he is paying 30-35k he is paying good money if the people that he is employing especially the one with 35 years under his belt doesnt know the tricks of the trade to fill systems then they shouldn't be on that kind of money. Ive spoken to lads that have just finished an apprenticeship and are moaning about being on rubbish wages and that think they deserve 30k a year just because they have their gas but in reality they still have lots to learn and they are on the correct money for that time in their career.

Sink or swim time mate my advice push on to 10 employees get a good contracts manager to keep on top of the employees while you do the everyday running of the company it's impossible for you to do it all , we had a mature guy to do the warranty work on the new build side and float between jobs as a extra pair of hands, drop gear off and what ever else you need him for there's so much time wasted getting materials. Cheers kop

Reply to Time on Jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock