Discuss Tiling around bath - better to fit tiles then bath or bath then tiles? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

So I am having my bathroom redone. I was quoted for using moisture board - but given the option to upgrade to using hard backer cement board or fully waterproof backer board (STS?) - they said the costs of using either would be the same.

Anyone have experience of these boards?

Also should the bath go in first and then tiles around it or should you tile the bathroom and then fit the bath?

Yes hardie backer is very good, adds stiffness to walls as it’s almost impossible to bend it (12mm).

Bath should ALWAYS be fitted before tiling.

To qualify that, you can tile up from a batten that would be above the bath and tile 95 % of the room. Then fit the bath and tile the cuts/ final tile down onto the bath.
i.e. you should never tile the wall and then push the bath up to a tiled surface.

Reply to Tiling around bath - better to fit tiles then bath or bath then tiles? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This...
Replies
Views
Morning All. I'm considering using this product below to fix to the walls of my new shower. I can't seem to find out whether or not tanking is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Our bathroom fitters have finished the first fix. However, when the tiler came round, he pointed out these issues: Standard...
Replies
Views
The situation is as follows. I have a shower enclosure which is slightly too small for the new shower tray. In a way this works to my advantage. I...
Replies
Views
Back