Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Threading Old 3/4" Steel Pipe Tight To A Wall. in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Catherine1

Catherine1 New Member

Hi

I'm looking to have some pipework altered underneath the kitchen sink. There is some 3/4" steel pipe coming up from below the floor which I need shortening to allow for a deep Belfast sink and quite a thick timber worktop. Plus all the adjoining pipework is leaking and needs replacing. I've spoken to two plumbers and they have said that the pipe would ideally need to be cut down and threaded in order for it to be lowered and attached to any new pipework. However because it is tight to the wall they said this would be very tricky. One suggested breaking out the surrounding concrete floor to get to the underground joint, to put a whole new pipe in, which we have done but now the other one said this would be risky because if it all goes wrong the local water authorities would need to come out and carry out major works to put it right! But he also said it was an unusual job and was unsure how to go about it. Well if two experienced plumbers don't know then I'm pretty sure I don't... I'm hoping someone on here will know and be able to suggest an answer. Please see attached photos.

Many thanks in advance.

Catherine

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

TBH looks fine to me and not a bad job

If that's a joint just below the floor even easier

Just needs someone capable to do the works

More of the floor would need to be broken up for access but other than that should be fine

• Like Like x 1
  3. Catherine1

Catherine1 New Member

Thanks Shaun. Will that underfloor joint be threaded or just pushed in and soldered? He said he was worried that when trying to remove it it would break off...

4. ShaunCorbs

Female Threaded, looks like there's a coupling take the top pipe out and install a 1/2 male iron to copper

And if it's going to break very unlikely but it's time for a change as chances are it's already leaking

• Like Like x 1
  5. Catherine1

Catherine1 New Member

Ok thanks. I wondered if there was such a thing whereby you could cut the pipe down to the required level and push on and solder a threaded fitting/adaptor?

6. ShaunCorbs

No sorry there are compression but there bulky

7. Catherine1

Catherine1 New Member

I guess it would depend how bulky. The pipe isn't touching the wall where it needs to be cut down to. I can get my fingers behind it and there is a bit of give to pull it away slightly.

8. ShaunCorbs

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Catherine1

Catherine1 New Member

Great thanks for your help. I'll show my plumber and see what he says. :)

10. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

As Shaun mentions. Hold onto the socket underground, cut the elbow off the pipe at the top and unscrew it will be either 1/2, or 3/4 bsp adapters are easily available. You may need an older plumber! Anyone under 40, won't have much experience with galvanised steel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  11. gmartine

gmartine GSR

Make sure you can turn off the supply at your outside stop valve before carrying out any work. That underground coupling looks pretty corroded to me and I couldn't be sure of getting that apart intact...you guys seem quite sure about that? If not dig down around the pipe as far as you possibly can that should allow the pipe to come away from the wall once it is cut (say 6inches above the floor) and allow enough access for a new thread to be cut even if you have to bend it a little. You could certainly start feeding that coupling penetrating oil, that'll give you the best chance of it coming apart.

12. ShaunCorbs

Yep little bit of heat and your golden

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. quality

quality Plumber GSR

it will need a bit more than a little bit of heat as it will be full of water but with heat it will come apart no probs

14. ShaunCorbs

Drain the water out of it first :D

15. quality

quality Plumber GSR

We know but sounds like those who have looked had this little job may not know

• Agree Agree x 1