Search the forum,

Discuss thoughts please no hot water in kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moony

right

no hot in kitchen on a job ive been to today for 3 yrs.
other plumbers have been there all said its a big job and not willing to take it on prob due to new kitchen and haveing to take it out and put it back in again.

when opening the tap there is pressure but then nothing, there will be 3 units, sink to remove and refit and electric oven to remove and replace... to even get to look at pipework.

hot in bathroom - basin and bath both ok-

running off emersion in cylinder - cwsc above the cylinder on bottom floor flat...

i only had a quick look today have to qoute tmrw... was looking at a days work.

anyone come across a problem like this - was thinking airlock and poorly run pipework, but 3 years without hot in kitchen since it was fitted new ?

landlord has said do whatever it takes to put right.

Last edited by a moderator:
could someone have fitted a nrv the wrong way round? daft i know but people do daft things some times or they could have shut local isolation and boxed it in if builder happened to do plumbing ?

could also see if u can get mains pressure up the hot tap in kitchen and out of the whb tap may be clear a blockage

Just a thought, if it's a mixer tap in kitchen give this a bash

get a 'plumbers mates bung' and put it over the mixer outlet, open the hot tap, then open the cold, allow the water to back fill up to cylinder, close the cold and retry a couple of times.

I had this in a vets surgery one time, I done the above 5/6 times repeatedly, It clear it and that was it, I never got called back to it

worth a bash mate

save u ripping kitchen out maybe if it works

cheers lads will try all this when i go to job, see if that works.... just with a few others having been to look at job it just made me think this has been tried but will give it a bash....

what are your thoughts on the pressure coming out of tap when first opened and also out of hot w/m valve?

if it is a nrv being fitted wrong way this would be behind units if fitted so would have to remove them.

this is for a new landlord who has had me given to them by recomendation so i dont want to have to charge them a lot if i can help it, but there again no other plumber fancies taking the kitchen apart to rectify the problem.

I think you've got a license to charge what u like on this job.
The landlord knows its nitemare and knows it's most likely gona cost him big.
Try the quick fix as I suggested but as above it could something more sinister like a back to front nrv or seized gate valve or who knows it could be a keen DIY'er that's done something completely unthinkable to us tradesman.

My advice - take as long as it takes and charge as much as it costs.

time is money as they say bud

well if water at first,then down to nothing,we have a blockage,air lock or ,if not working since new kitchen,maybe ball a fix valve not opened correctly
other plumbers would have checked for air lock,but connect hot and cold washing machine valves together and try to back fill

If no good,tap ok as same problem at washing machine valve
Try to trace pipe work and were valves from first fix or when alterations to kitchen would have been,does landlord know were old sink was,maybe isolation valve behind sink unit backing,if no luck,find out were hot supply comes into kitchen,maybe you could just re run from there under units,just removing plinth to sink
Would not give quote,case of how long is a piece of string and why should you risk loosing out because of someone else's mess up
Tell landlord your plan of attack,what initial charges maybe and keep him informed of further actions required and developments

imho

I had something very similar last week i think. when the tap was first turned on i got pressure then seconds later almost nothing, literaly a drip.

It was the hot feed to the kitchen tap. it was in 10mm plastic microbore underthe floor then up to 15mm when in the unit. i tried heaps of things cos i was certain it was an airlock. but in the end it was the 15mm elbow under the floor with the 10mm recducer in it that for some reason wasnt lettling much water through.

Also have you tried replcacing the tap cylinder?

i can virtually rule out the tap as the washing machine valve underneath is the same.

i have quoted a full days labour for 2 people and for electrician to come and remove oven and refit (probably wont need this so will be making on that but its been added just incase, and its been accepted so im happy with that. the bathroom is on other side of the wall and pressure is fine in there... so worst case scenario is to remove the units run new hot and replace everything - it wont take me longer than a day.

two things 1st has wm got hot and cold supply or cold only if both confirm hot is flowing to wm [may have to remove wm]
2nd if you can confirm hot supply to wm should also have supply to tap suggest obstruction in copper tail or flexi fitted to tap had this problem on two occasions it turned out to be solder in tap tails where system not flushed out properly good luck regards turnpin:)

remove the tap and test the pipework
trace the pipe work, find any valves, remove and test.
worst case scenario someone has squashed a pipe.

sometimes its worth just throwing new pipework in

two things 1st has wm got hot and cold supply or cold only if both confirm hot is flowing to wm [may have to remove wm]
2nd if you can confirm hot supply to wm should also have supply to tap suggest obstruction in copper tail or flexi fitted to tap had this problem on two occasions it turned out to be solder in tap tails where system not flushed out properly good luck regards turnpin:)

tried that on the visit matey...

cheers though

remove the tap and test the pipework
trace the pipe work, find any valves, remove and test.
worst case scenario someone has squashed a pipe.

sometimes its worth just throwing new pipework in

thats what i'll do to be honest once ive got the oven out and the unit in the corner i will have pretty good access so will renew some pipework - the sink coming out to get that unit out is last resort.

turns out it was ruuning off an old pressure equalising valve, removed and everything ok.

apart from mixer valves on showers and taps what would of been the point of this??

electric shower, and modern mixer tap and seperate taps were fitted - so dont see the point of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thoughts please no hot water in kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock