Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Those of you working for firms... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

Did you have to give up your personal registration? How did you feel about that?

If anyone did give theirs up and then re-registered, did you get a new number, or the old one again? Did it cost £450ish like a new registration, or was it £150ish like a renewal?

A lot of firms won't employ you unless you give it up. I think quite right too.

Once you give up if you start again it's from scratch

No I was given the choice. But for me I was happy to walk away from private work. Very occasionally I'll reminisce about a nice combi swap for cash but truth be told I can't be arsed any more.

Are you considering joining the dark side mas?

We have our personal registration. But don't do much with it. I think were paying for nothing or Probably for a glossy book every month.

If you cancel your registration you will have to start up as a newbie. I think the set up fees are around £500 these days.

Last edited:
I think about the dark side couple times a year the big reasons i don't is because you nearly always have an idiot as a boss, other colleagues back stabbing and gossiping plus this tracking on your vans .

If you could just go to work and work and be left to crack on then i would consider.

I get paid holiday, I go work for the RNLI or attend a training course at Poole, otherwise it's just holiday :)

I think about the dark side couple times a year the big reasons i don't is because you nearly always have an idiot as a boss, other colleagues back stabbing and gossiping plus this tracking on your vans .

If you could just go to work and work and be left to crack on then i would consider.
Negatives:

Idiot as boss? Yes! Just try to keep head down and get on with it and he usually stays out my way.
Sweety wife colleges bitching? Sometimes! Again- just try get head down and get on with it.
Trackers? Yes- big pain in aris! Monitor speed, acceleration, idling etc.

Positives:

Steady weekly wage. Even during quiet summer period.
Normally plenty overtime during winter months to boost the salary.
Only one standby shift per week expected. Usually more if you looking for it.
30 days paid hols.
Someone else worries about all the tax side of things for you.
Do your job and collect wages at end of week.

A lot of companies will make you give up your private registration as it's a conflict of interest for them. I believe with my company that if you register yourself personally they class it as gross misconduct.

But I think it depends what part of the industry you're working in, my mate went to work for a metering company and they paid for him to renew all his appliances and have no problem with him having a personal registration. Which is good for me, as I can do jobs with him if I need to :)

i work for a firm,they let me keep my private registration i dont see what right a company or housing association have to make you give up your own number.Most of our lads have their own numbers.

Which is exactly the reasons I went SE

i work for a firm,they let me keep my private registration i dont see what right a company or housing association have to make you give up your own number.Most of our lads have their own numbers.

Well you say work.....

The main reason I've just left employment is trackered vans. Done 16 months without one and was heaven job n knocks most days, company bought out and went instantly ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Those of you working for firms... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock