Discuss Thermostat replacement in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone. My thermostat (attached photo) doesn't work anymore. Can only turn it on or off but that's it, it doesn't detect temperature at all. You can see the dial is buggered as well.

Can anyone advise on a like for like replacement? Just the easiest thing to replace this with at low cost. I can't find this particular thermostat anywhere online so just looking for something easy to swap over. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 15
Good advice Murdoch, but I can conform the Potterton PRT2 does have/need a neutral. I had one on our heating system until a year or so ago!

I always find it strange that diyers will mess with electrics, something you can’t see or hear, but WILL feel and can easily kill you

water you can see

gas you can smell

very odd

I know you asked for a like-for-like replacement but if this is the main control for the whole heating system, I'd suggest you consider upgrading to a seven-day combined programmer / thermostat. They are one of the few gadgets I've found that actually save a noticable amount of fuel. TPI control is also much nicer from a comfort point of view than low-tech on-off.

If you're interested in the idea, the Honeywell T4 is a possibility but ask here for other suggestions. (I like Honeywell but everybody has their own favourite.)

I always find it strange that diyers will mess with electrics, something you can’t see or hear, but WILL feel and can easily kill you

water you can see

gas you can smell

very odd

Luckily I was able to replace all of my house's sockets, switches and light fittings over the years without killing myself. Call me a maniac but I've always turned off at the mains and disconnected wiring and then reconnected in exactly the same way in the like for like replacement socket/switch/fitting etc...

If it wasn't like for like and in any way no straightforward, I wouldn't dream of doing it.
[automerge]1602512211[/automerge]
I know you asked for a like-for-like replacement but if this is the main control for the whole heating system, I'd suggest you consider upgrading to a seven-day combined programmer / thermostat. They are one of the few gadgets I've found that actually save a noticable amount of fuel. TPI control is also much nicer from a comfort point of view than low-tech on-off.

If you're interested in the idea, the Honeywell T4 is a possibility but ask here for other suggestions. (I like Honeywell but everybody has their own favourite.)
Thanks very much for your advice. I didn't want anything too fancy as we are moving house next month. Just didn't want to leave a faulty thermostat for new owners.

Luckily I was able to replace all of my house's sockets, switches and light fittings over the years without killing myself. Call me a maniac but I've always turned off at the mains and disconnected wiring and then reconnected in exactly the same way in the like for like replacement socket/switch/fitting etc...

If it wasn't like for like and in any way no straightforward, I wouldn't dream of doing it.
[automerge]1602512211[/automerge]

Thanks very much for your advice. I didn't want anything too fancy as we are moving house next month. Just didn't want to leave a faulty thermostat for new owners.

You are welcome to my retired Potterton PRT2, in good working condition. Message me if you would like it.

Reply to Thermostat replacement in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've just replaced an Ultra SASF2 – M thermostatic shower cartridge together with the spring mechanism and the temperature sensor. My problem is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Our flat has communal heating and our thermostat is set so low so the heating should never be coming on. However over the last 10...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just a query about what size in KW gas combi boiler do I need for a top floor flat (3rd floor). I have a Vokera Easi heat plus...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, We moved into our house last year and our current central heating set up is: Boiler: Vokera Mynute HE system boiler Thermostats: 2x Robus...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock