Search the forum,

Discuss Thermal store question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Ive got to take a second look at a thermal store this afternoon that's connected to a gas boiler and the problem is that the heating won't come one unless the water is on as well, when the heating reaches temperature the water heating isn't working - or so I've been told They can't get enough hot water to have two showers in a row.
I've tried changing the old Potterton EP2002 programmer for a new Drayton LP722, which should cause the HW to run independently of the CH but it isn't.
I know that theres a 2 port on the heating side but no other valves sooooo.... does anyone have a wiring diagramme that I could use to help diagnose this?

Cheers

The water in the thermal store circulates around the radiators which is normally controlled by a room thermostat and pump. The hot water is mains pressure and heated through a heat exchanger/coil by the water in the thermal store.....So the thermal store needs to be up to temperature to provide hot water. IMO its best to maintain the thermal store temperature so always got hot water and can draw when required for heating.

.......So the thermal store needs to be up to temperature to provide hot water. ....

As Lee explains. One stored source of heat , If you budget is limited the only way to get more Hot water out is to demand less of your heating !

Or have controls set to keep thermal store up to heat , at a higher cost .

Cheers guys but not much help really - I understand the principal of it all but not how to wire it all and that's why I was asking for the diagramme :)

I think that what's happened with the wiring is that the installer has wired it all to the heating and that means that as soon as the timer says no more heating is required, the boiler is switched out and stops heating the stored water resulting in a lack of temperature in the thermal store so that there is no hot water for the shower.
This is why I need the diagramme - so that I can work it all out without having to squash myself into a small, dark space with my torch, multimeter and screwdriver :)

i don't come across them often, there aren't many in my part of the world but are they not supposed to be permanently hot ?

Yep I think that they are - this is the first one I've found around here as well. Mostly UVDHWC around here.
Thanks for the link btw - I'll take a look :)

OK - I've had a look at the wiring diagramme in the pdf that Last Plumber supplied the link to and I've altered it to suit what I know is there at the moment so if anyone can see a problem please let me know Thermalstore-wiring 2.jpg

I would wire it so that the boiler is on the Hot water channel of the prog to keep the tank hot during the day at least. Via the tank stat and HLS

Wire the CH zone valve from the prog CH Channel via room stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal store question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler keeps hot water at a steady temperature in the boiler whilst cold water enters into a coil which is held inside the hot water and this heats the cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Heating System Have 2 houses where identical Heating systems installed (self & neighbour) In Dec both Baxi boilers were replaced with Viessmann Vittodens 30W due to ageing reliability issue. System is as per drawing Hot Water Draw off Thermal Store operates by the process that as DHW is drawn...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock