Discuss Thermaboard and a big radiator in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I've had thermaboard put on the external walls in a couple of rooms, now need to fit new radiators. The 2 new little radiators upstairs feel pretty solid fitted with hollow wall anchors. Question is, will the 600x1000mm rad for the front room be ok on hollow wall anchors or will it trash the plasterboard? I've looked at all sorts of fixings and can't find any long enough to go through 55mm of insulation to reach the brick. Don't think cutting a window in my nice new wall for noggins is a very appealing idea either...!

In my house fed by an air source heat pump, which naturally require larger radiators, i have the rads on plaster board wall mounted on feet. The rad brackets mount to plasterboard positioning it and the feet take the brunt of the weight

I use a normal plug and screw around 4-5” long depending on cavity and a brown plug

but to span the gap I use a bit of Galv 20mm conduit (Electrical) eg sized so it touches the brick and flush with the plaster

Get some 120mm dyna bolts.
Drill hole through plaster board an into brick work.
Grab a piece of copper tube ( larger than the dyna bolt), push into wall until it hits the brick.
Measure tube to face of plaster and cut to length.
Insert dyna bolt into copper tube and hammer dyna bolt into brickwork and tighten up - presumably with rad bracket in place.

Done this for years and never had a problem.

Crappy brickwork - chemset allthread into brickwork, using copper sleeve as a spacer.

I've had thermaboard put on the external walls in a couple of rooms, now need to fit new radiators. The 2 new little radiators upstairs feel pretty solid fitted with hollow wall anchors. Question is, will the 600x1000mm rad for the front room be ok on hollow wall anchors or will it trash the plasterboard? I've looked at all sorts of fixings and can't find any long enough to go through 55mm of insulation to reach the brick. Don't think cutting a window in my nice new wall for noggins is a very appealing idea either...!
Is this a new radiator? If the room has been insulated you could use a smaller rad.

Reply to Thermaboard and a big radiator in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm currently refurbishing a room and in the process adding some internal wall insulation. The wall has been stripped and my plumber is coming...
Replies
Views
S
Air keeps collecting in our upstairs bathroom towel radiator. Do we have a leak or what could be the cause please? We had a new system boiler and...
Replies
Views
Sammy1
S
S
Hi, We currently have 3 old radiators in our living room, the room feels cold in winter and radiators take ages to get warm, system has been...
Replies
Views
Our upstairs towel radiator keeps filling with air at the top. We had a new system boiler, new tank and new pipework fitted in October. The new...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone looking for abit of advice I've got a total of 6 radiators in my house 5 are all hot but the and 1 that is stone cold ive checked...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock