Search the forum,

Discuss the law? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnston

Hi, sorry new to this found a lot of info through your forum so just looking for a little more advice.

Basicly im helping out on a garage conversion at home which is being looked after by labc, its fairly basic one end room the other a small toilet room my main concerns are that i have read in another forum that all new toilet waste setup's now has to be notified by a qualified plumber just wondering where i stand as a diy'er seeing as all will be tested correctly before labc sign it off i can not see the problem?

many thanks for and advice or info
johnston

do you mean underground soil pipe? building control have to see that yeah. but no one needs to see a new toilet.

hi thanks for the reply , i probably havent worded what i meant quite rightly. basicly i would like to join a toilet onto the existing soil stack. what im wondering is will the labc man want to see paper work from a qualified plumber for this work or is it ok for me to do it if i considered myself competent?

thanks again

Anyone can fit a toilet mate, No inspection from any boards?

you have to comply with building regs and water regs, get building regs (plumbing work side) wrong and youll only end up with puddles of pooh, contaminate water supplies and youll meet water company reps with big bills. Both low risk but thats why plumbers are supposed to be trained to do the work and issue the compliance notices on completion of the installations. You can of course diy everything but problems arise later on when a surveyor inspects your work when you want to sell the place. As ever the choice is yours, but now you know the pitfalls.

thanks everyone for the quick replies, that clears things up a lot. one last quick question is in regards of teeing into the existing stack i obviously run the risk of a blockage lower down causing the new downstairs toilet to flood. in regards to this is it common practice to run a separate soil pipe to the nearest man hole despite being impractical?

thanks again lads

yes, the minimum you can tee into a soil stack is 450mm from bottom of the long radius bend (underground). If your going to run a seperate soil pipe then you should have an air admittance valve.

in fact, ignore me, im a bit rusty on it all. just read somewhere if your going to have a seperate sub stack then there are plenty of minimum and maximum measurement to consider. Whether or not the builders ive been on site with ever bothered with regs i dont know and doubt.

In fact here a link to Building regs document H which covers all this

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/parth/approved

Last edited by a moderator:
aha no problem, maybe time to consider hiring a qualified plumber , cheers

To cover yourself go to the governments community website portal and down load the Guide to the Building Regs document H that covers drainage and tells you what you can and cannot do. Its simpler all round to follow them and they are free.

New WC requires LABC compliance. replacement not. Good plumbing company should be able to self certificate for building regs under a competent person scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to the law? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock