Discuss The dreaded one pipe system conundrum! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Infusion Andy

I've installed a new Worcester 30 CDI Regular this week, Replacing an old glow worm energy saver 80, everything going well up until the cold fill, that's when things took a turn for the proverbial.

Cutting a very long story short, what looks like a very neat S plan in the cylinder cupboard, is actually the dreaded one pipe lurking underneath the floorboards.

Is there anything I can add or do to improve flow/performance ups 15 50/60 pump maybe??

The more I interrogated the customer the more classic signs came out ie ages to warm up, rooms never really warm.

Would appreciate all comments and shared experiences!

I've installed a new Worcester 30 CDI Regular this week, Replacing an old glow worm energy saver 80, everything going well up until the cold fill, that's when things took a turn for the proverbial.

Cutting a very long story short, what looks like a very neat S plan in the cylinder cupboard, is actually the dreaded one pipe lurking underneath the floorboards.

Is there anything I can add or do to improve flow/performance ups 15 50/60 pump maybe??

The more I interrogated the customer the more classic signs came out ie ages to warm up, rooms never really warm.

Would appreciate all comments and shared experiences!

Be honest with the custard tell em it needs repiping if they don't want it done walk away.

Well you fell down at first hurdle fitting a wb. Would be better off pressurised and then will work fine. Done loads just not with a plastic heat unit.

I never really bother fitting to one pipe it defeats the whole point of efficiency.

why the hatred towards Worcester, I have fitted hundreds and had very few problems.

I never really bother fitting to one pipe it defeats the whole point of efficiency.

why the hatred towards Worcester, I have fitted hundreds and had very few problems.

how many to one pipe systems?

op, how many zones? Upstairs and downstairs?
floor boards or chip board?

any concrete floors downstairs?

I've done quite a few. Won't be as efficient as a two piper but still more efficient than a non A rated.

When I was with eagaheat I used to get called to quite a few to sort out that other people had struggled with. A mistake a lot of people make is keep turning the pump speed up to try and get the rads hot. This can quite often make things worse. The rads heat up by convection from the pipework travelling underneath the radiator. Turn the pump speed too high and the hot water will tear round the system and there won't be time for this convection to to take place. You want a nice gentle flow around the system. Most of the jobs I went to were solved by turning the pump speed down to one. Some required some minor pipework alterations to encourage the water through the radiators. Ideally when fitted swept tees will have been used which makes things a lot easier.

I'm sure I just replaced a 24 logic combi put in by eagaheat 21/2 years back under warm front scheme, not accusing you though Mike, but I hope they put a few more in down here :)

There was some absolutely atrocious work done under the warmfront scheme. I spent the last 6 months of my employment with Carillion (who took over eaga) travelling around Kent and Sussex rectifying installation faults. We had some good engineers in this area but when the work dried up in the North and Midlands they sent engineers down to carry out installs in our patch. They were given 5 days work and would chuck it in in 4 days or less so that they could leave and go home a day early. Because the work was so far away they didn't care how they did it because they knew they wouldn't get called back to it.

Had an awful looking cobble up of single pipe and two pipe combination system to fit a boiler to last October. Breathed a sigh of relief when it actually worked!

There was some absolutely atrocious work done under the warmfront scheme. I spent the last 6 months of my employment with Carillion (who took over eaga) travelling around Kent and Sussex rectifying installation faults. We had some good engineers in this area but when the work dried up in the North and Midlands they sent engineers down to carry out installs in our patch. They were given 5 days work and would chuck it in in 4 days or less so that they could leave and go home a day early. Because the work was so far away they didn't care how they did it because they knew they wouldn't get called back to it.

Us 'northeners' can be a bit rough at times when down 'sarf'

I put an extra 4 rads in an extension and new ariston on the one pipe system as they had par-Kay floor over a screed so couldn't really re pipe it. Never had a problem with it though.

Sorry for the wait with the reply gents, there's a new baby in the house and well I guess you'll know the rest.....Firstly the customer supplied the boiler so my hands were tied over the Xmas period, not that I've ever had a prob with wb, only thing I've gone back to on my wb installs is a service - won't recommend anything else... Had probs with every make out there!!!!

On arrival found a straight swap ahead of me, found many rads updated, Trv's on every rad bar one and what appeared to be a neat s-plan installed in the cyl cupboard.

The house has unfortunately been tiled completely down stairs and upstairs you've guessed it laminate :(

Hate leaving a job like that....Would love to improve it or at least look into making it the best I can, but like I said in the original thread it only became apparent on cold fill and commission so walked into this one I'm afraid.

Very good logical point with pump speed certainly helps to bounce off each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The dreaded one pipe system conundrum! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I bought my house last year and recently had a couple of radiators swapped for modern triple columns. Since they were installed they...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a...
Replies
Views
I have a 1940 house with an old one pipe heating system that heats hot water and radiators together. Adding an single floor utility extension I am...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
I have a single pipe system in a large-ish 1930s house and, guess what: the radiators at the end of the run don't get as hot as those at the start...
Replies
Views
Keith Cole
K
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock