Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Tap connector fibre washers. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BN9Pete

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
When changing taps that are connected by an end feed or Yorkshire tap connector I always look to see if the fibre washer is ok, unless the washers looks as new I put in new fibre washers, but the washers sold in merchants always look thin.

Last week I fitted some new basin taps and changed the fibre washers, I checked and double checked the tap connectors for leaks and everything was fine, but a few days later the customer had a leak from one of the tap connectors, the fibre washer looked fine when I went back.

Can anyone recommend a decent fibre washer or what do you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

I get well naft off with fibre washers , wherever possible I use Speedfit tap connectors every time

I get well naft off with fibre washers , wherever possible I use Speedfit tap connectors every time

If I'm fitting a new bathroom or a basin I use Speedfit tap connectors, the washers are brilliant in them, I even change the pipe work on some tap change jobs, but with some jobs it's hard to change the pipes and use Speedfit tap cons.

Argh! Bloody speed fit tap connectors!
twinned with plastic backnuts. Recipe for spinning taps.

i find Yorkshire tap con washers are fine.

only way to get good red wqashers is with good fittings yorkshire or conex/prestex

Steve if you were changing taps connected to existing tap cons would you take a new red fibre washer out of a new tap con to use?

Have you ever ordered decent fibre washers ( York/ Conex/Prestex ) as spares from a merchants?

Argh! Bloody speed fit tap connectors!
twinned with plastic backnuts. Recipe for spinning taps.

i find Yorkshire tap con washers are fine.

I use brass back nuts if there is a chance of a spinning tap.

I can help you out here buddy. The best 1/2" fibre washers available are from poofix of all places. Nice thick quality fibre washers. Everyone else sells proxy thin things I would not dare try and fit.

If you use a jointing compound like jet blue plus it should be fine, the only time I've had an issue is when they are made in dry.

Can this type of washer be ordered from your Brighton branch?

They have them in stock, but you may need to talk to one of the more experienced staff. We also carry a 1/2" fibre washer in a plastic pre-pack bag. They are cheaper, sell way faster, but are thinner.

The prestex ones come in a little brown cardboard box.

They have them in stock, but you may need to talk to one of the more experienced staff. We also carry a 1/2" fibre washer in a plastic pre-pack bag. They are cheaper, sell way faster, but are thinner.

Thankyou Ray I will give them a ring.

When changing taps that are connected by an end feed or Yorkshire tap connector I always look to see if the fibre washer is ok, unless the washers looks as new I put in new fibre washers, but the washers sold in merchants always look thin.

I don't even look at the old washers. I change them regardless of their condition.
BTW, not only does Ray's outfit sell good quality washers seperately, they also sell olives seperately and it works out cheaper than if you bought a pack of 10/20?
I asked for a pack of olives at the Beddington Branch but they encouraged me to buy them seperately, saying it will work out cheaper and I must not tell Ray they said that????

Stick a bit of gunk on them, I always do with fibre washers. Boss white, jet blue whatever

the way all good fittings used to come

I am going to be different & suggest the option of using the "rubber" flat washers that come in packets & are for plastic tap fittings (I think Hep). If they fit the tap connector perfectly, then they should be a great seal & also ideal for tightening up to plastic ball valve tails.

Ive got some of the screwfix ones there alright, but i tend to pick up spares whenever I can from different merchants and stash em all in my sortmaster

I use nylon ones. You can wind the connector up a lot tighter without them splitting.

i think its somewhat as much to do with the poor quality of the tap/ valve end alot of the time. Some of these cheap plastic cistern valves have such poor threads and surface ends you have to balak them too tight.

I am going to be different & suggest the option of using the "rubber" flat washers that come in packets & are for plastic tap fittings (I think Hep). If they fit the tap connector perfectly, then they should be a great seal & also ideal for tightening up to plastic ball valve tails.

I had a few spare Speedfit rubber tap connector washers and they fitted end feed tap cons perfectly, but the merchants in my town don't seem to be able to order them separately from Speedfit.

I have some spare Polyplumb or Hep rubber tap con washers but they are too big for some end feed tap cons.

I use nylon ones. You can wind the connector up a lot tighter without them splitting.

Thanks Mike, I did wonder about the nylon type as the service valves from Screwfix have a decent nylon washer, my local merchants don't sell nylon washers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap connector fibre washers. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I’ve used the hep20 tap connectors a few years back when I did. C&G plumbing course. I brought a few the other day and in the packet was a...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
Hi, As I need to purchase two new taps for our en suite, I've noticed that almost all taps now come with flexi tails as standard. I've read some...
Replies
Views
This basin tap needs a washer change. How do I get in it?
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock